Time to add the calcium carbonate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeniorHobby

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just started a wild grape wine (beginner at winemaking), I've got the sugar, yeast nutrient, potassium metabisulfite & pectic enzyme added. Recipe from a beginner's wine making, said not to mess with the calcium carbonate till we get further into the winemaking process. After a few conversations, thought I'd try it. I have a two gallon batch going, my acid test reflected a 1.6% acid level. Sounds like I need a lot to bring down the level of acid in my grapes. Warned to go slowly, so I added 10 g for the entire 2 gallon batch. I was waiting for a lift or explosion of sorts. Nothing. Is this because I need to add more? My supplies should be fresh, just ordered them within the last month.
Any advice?

I wouldn't be using calcium carbonate without a good procedure to follow. If you just start tossing calcium carbonate into the must you'll end up with a mess, calcium will be dropping out for months, and excess calcium will also affect flavor. To avoid this, most procedures recommend adding the calcium to only a portion of the batch, followed by settling and filtration of the precipitate, then re-combining with the untreated portion. I haven't used the procedure myself, so maybe other members with experience will comment.

I wouldn't be using calcium carbonate without a good procedure to follow. If you just start tossing calcium carbonate into the must you'll end up with a mess, calcium will be dropping out for months, and excess calcium will also affect flavor. To avoid this, most procedures recommend adding the calcium to only a portion of the batch, followed by settling and filtration of the precipitate, then re-combining with the untreated portion. I haven't used the procedure myself, so maybe other members with experience will comment.
Ok then, I will skip this step. No need to do more than necessary!

Latest posts

Back