Time start to finish

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam

Reaction score
After making a kit and having it finished in not so long a time , I wondered what is the benefit of letting "from scratch wine" sit before bottling.

If my wine stops fermentation in 7 days, and I rack at two weeks and it is 99.
SG, it is done working right? I let it sit a few months and rack until fairly clear. The rest of the time it sits to clear, correct.
So if you buy a product such as super clear to clear it, why does a person wait for months to have it clear? I use K meta and K sorbate before bottling.

I just want to know if flavor is improved or what the reason for the ageing pre-bottling is. Thanks in advance.

Even after using a fining agent there will be fine sediment falling out over more time. Unless you like having a fine layer of sediment in your bottles this is the only way to avoid it or even just lessen it cause ven then sometimes we get a little bit in there after a year or so.

Three reasons come to mind.

1) A wine definately improves with time
look at the wine in the shops. All sold wines are at least
a year old. Most are older
2) When bottled it is easier to drink it.
So when in a carboy it will last longer :D
3) The longer you wait the more clear the wine will get.

Remember we are making wine, so the basic virtue is patience.

Luc

Pam:

When I had my store, many customers drank the wine as soon as it was bottled and were very satisfied, and very good repeat customers. Some would be finished their 30 bottles, 30 days later. Others took a little more time. A frequent comment was along the lines "Boy the last bottle was a lot better than the first."

I think it's something that you have to learn for yourself. Sure start drinking it right away, it will probably taste fine, and won't kill you. But try to save a few bottles for 3 to 6 months, and see what YOU think.

BTW which kit did you make? (Please always always tell us, as it can change/improve our answers. And I for one, won't bother to look for it in another thread.)

Also, Pam please update the Location field in the control panel so that we know roughly where you live. Who knows somebody might invite you over for a taste of some nicely aged wine.

Steve

Last edited:
CPFAN
I am one of the people who when the 2 months are up I start drinking [what kits recommend = Vintner & Inland Mist]
I have 2 bottles left of Inland Mist Blackberry that I bottled 8/28/2008. And I will try what you suggest!! :cool:

[Sure start drinking it right away, it will probably taste fine, and won't kill you. But try to save a few bottles for 3 to 6 months, and see what YOU think

Sorry to hear that your dream went south!
Thanks. It was six years of hard work. Had built up a decent business. Was showing an operating profit from the first few months. Good customers, but up to 100 kits on the go at once is a lot of work. We had been trying to sell the business for some time, then the landlord didn't renew our lease, and I didn't want to set everything up all over again. So we sold as much as possible.

Steve

CPFAN
I am one of the people who when the 2 months are up I start drinking [what kits recommend = Vintner & Inland Mist]
I have 2 bottles left of Inland Mist Blackberry that I bottled 8/28/2008. And I will try what you suggest!! :cool:
I was taking about people who start drinking TWO hours after bottling. One customer would bottle a merlot and start another one at the same time. When it was ready she was usually out of wine. One long weekend she called asking if she could bottle a couple of days early cause company was coming and she only had a couple of bottles left.

BTW, I don't think Island Mist will change much after being in bottle a month. The Vintners Reserve wines, especially the reds, should improve for a few months.

Steve

My kit was Island Mist. I was not real impressed. It was good but after having made plum, elderberry, grape from scratch, it lacked that good fruit quality. I actually added some green gage plum wine to the kit at bottling and it was really good.
So what I gather is that time allows it to clear even more even with clarifiers and aging in the bottle then improves the taste.
I am not planning anything but what process does a person have to go through to sell their homemade wines. I assume apply for a liquor license. Any other inspections? Just interested.
Thanks for all the postings.

I am not planning anything but what process does a person have to go through to sell their homemade wines. I assume apply for a liquor license. Any other inspections? Just interested.
Thanks for all the postings.
In order to get an answer to this question, you MUST tell us where you plan to do this (ie where you live). Laws differ widely. I would also suggest that you start a specific thread as that might attract someone with specific knowledge who is not monitoring this thread.

Best to update the Location field in the Control Panel (as I have already asked you to do).

Steve

Latest posts

Back