Time on lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canoe

Reaction score
Hi, all
I have a question about leaving banana kiwi fruit wine on lees.

I transfered to secondary about 18 days ago. Wine is still fermenting (almost done) and clearing nicely, but the lees are about 1.5 inches deep

The bananas were boiled in a pan and only the water added, and the kiwis were in a bag and taken out of primary after about a week, so I don't think these lees would be classed as gross lees.

Would I be OK to leave this wine to finnish ferment on these lees, (another week or two) or would I be better to rack and finnish fermenting off these lees.
Thanks
Bill

two weeks would be fine but dont go too much further then this as if its still fermenting then those are gross lees because fermentation will keep all the sediment in suspension and thats 1 reason why you have so much lees transfer. You have done eveything correctly though so keep er up!

As long as the wine is not finished leave it on the lees.

Remember a lot of yeast is also living at the bottom of the secondary. If you rack now you will loose these yeast and fermentation to the end will be difficult.

Let it be until finished and after that you can even let it
be for a few weeks.

Luc

Wade
Havn't checked SG yet. I still have slight fermentation activity and don't want to loose my CO2 cap right now.

Luc
Thanks. I'll leave it on the lees till finished.

Bill

If its still fermenting then it would be ok to check the sg as its still producing C02, when it finishes and you have a lot of room in your carboy then keep that buknd on there until you are ready to work with the wine.

Also to note. Just because you open your carboy, the CO2 will not whoosh out. It is heavier that oxygen. It will stay there. Now if you leave it open for an extended period the atmospheric pressure can push it out but if you have a decent layer of CO2 you are safe till you stir or agitate to check your gravity.

Hi,Wade, Smurf,

I understand about co2 and what you are saying.
My main concern was the depth of lees, (way more than the red wine kits I'm used too) if thats not a problem I'll give it another week or two and check SG then.
Everything looks to be going fine.

Cheers
Bill

Latest posts

Back