Time in the Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_M

All things wine!
Reaction score
i have both a Vadai 50L and 23L
The 23L is two years in use, would assume neutral on oak.
The 50L has just the one year in use.
What I’ve been doing, is rotate wine about every 4 months.
Can I go say 6 months on the 23L? How long would you go with the 50L?

Thanks,
Steve

I go 3-6 with my 23L. Usually 4 or so, but have never had an issue w/ 6. I recently 'forgot' about two wines and they ended up being in for over 7 months. (oops) No issues.

Jim,
Thanks that’s what I was hoping for. Would be nice to allow wine as much time in barrels as we can get!
As for oak at least on the 23L, going to try the Xoakers Med+ French Oak.

Thanks,
Steve

Might sound silly but I'm looking forward to the time mine go neutral. Oaking is one thing but aging in a barrell priceless, or so I've heard.

I can attest, it does wonders for a wine. When my barrels were new, some wines only got a month or two in them before the oak taste meant removing them. Once neutral, and my wines started staying in a barrel for 6+ months, it did wonders for them both in terms of concentration and micro-oxygenation. They went in pretty green and came out much further along the aging path.

@Steve_M — so what’s the plan this year anyway? What ya plan on making, and when do you expect your grapes?
Plan is blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Syrah maybe Merlot and or Petit Verdot.
We may make the trip down to Corrados in Clifton, NJ or local at Prospero in Pleasantville, NY this weekend.

Steve

Back