Time in secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slyder73

Reaction score
I have 2 Cellar Craft kits on right now, the Rosso Fortissimo and Pinot Noir. One started a week or so before the other because I only have 1 primary bucket. Both are in secondary, with the Rosso obviously in for the week longer. I can't get to racking, clearing etc until at least Sunday, which puts the Rosso in secondary for about 21 days and the Pinot in secondary for about 13 days.
Both kits have the same instructions that say to check and move on to clearing after 12 or so days. Just wondering if extra time in secondary on the lees will hurt the wine at all, or impart any off flavours?

It won't hurt to leave it in secondary for a longer time.

Besides, the amount of time in the secondary should be based on your SG readings, more than a specified number of days. At about that 14 day mark, take SG readings three days in a row. If the reading has not changed for that three days, the wine is ready for the next step. (Leaving it in for another week or two won't hurt a thing.) If has SG has changed during those three days, the wine is not ready to take out, anyway.

The number of days specified for primary and secondary fermentation is only a reference. Cooler fermentation temperatures could possibly require you to double the number of days in fermentation; hotter temps can do the opposite. The SG readings are the true determinant.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to do a SG reading, have been out of town. Am back now and will check the readings. I see in the carboy though, both still have a small flow of tiny bubbles, indicating some fermentation is still going on.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to do a SG reading, have been out of town. Am back now and will check the readings. I see in the carboy though, both still have a small flow of tiny bubbles, indicating some fermentation is still going on.

the bubbles are not necessarily an indication of fermentation.. it could be degassing itself at this point.

a hydrometer reading is the best indication of what your wine is currently doing.

as to the original query.. the wine will be fine on the lees for that extra time.

Allie:ib

Latest posts

Back