Time in a bottle makes a big difference.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onin24eagle

Reaction score
Just wanted to let eveyone know, especially newbies like myself, that time in the bottle makes all the difference in the world. My first kit has always had a certain smell about it that I really didn't like. I smelled it in the beginning and after being in the bottle for one month. It's amazing what can change in just 2 weeks. I just tried another bottle of my first kit, and the smell I didn't like is almost gone. I was really getting discouraged, but now I'm exited. Anyway, I am really becoming more and more aware of what it means to wait and be patient. I really didn't think the wine would change much in a month or two, but I was thankfully wrong as my first batch is getting better and better with age. Edited by: onin24eagle

smiley38.gif
NOW YOU REALLY LEARNED SOMETHNG OF TRUE VALUE
smiley2.gif

With the higher end kits, wait a year to see real drama.

Wait until you see what it will be like after a year or two in the bottle.
smiley2.gif
I have been making wine for about 3 years now. I am just now truly enjoying the redwines I made when I started. They were good before. They have a bit of WOW factor now where I can say Wow, I made this.

I rushed my first batch of WE Pinot noir to bottle in time for Christmas presents and opened our first bottle last weekend and was very happy with the initial tasting. We had company over and they couldn't beleive that I had made the wine. I have 12 bottles left and I am going to be patient and wait at least 6 or 8 months until opening another. Good luck, this is a very addicting habit that reaps great rewards.

I have been making wine since 2001. My advice is to make some mid priced (10 litre) kits and top end kits. The mid priced kits will mature quicker and hopefully allow you to actually age the top end kits. Once you have a good supply you can plan ahead and stick with the best kits.

I posted this on the other website...

If you think 2 years works, listen to this story.

I gifted a bottle of my RJS Restricted Quantity Cab Franc/Merlot in 2010 after bottling. I told the girl to hold on to it. Last weekend, I was visiting her and she pulled that bottle out of storage.

A 7 year old bottle. It was as good as almost any other wine I have ever had. I would have put it up against some 95 point wines...

Time is your friend

Discovered the same thing myself. Seems there is some sort of bottle shock that needs at least 2 weeks to dissipate.

Took me a while to figure out. Was tasting as I was bottling and everything is good. Then open a bottle and it is terrible... Whats going on...

Not sure bottle shock is scientific but certainly fits my experience!

I love it! However, I need to point out that I remember that song "in real time," unlike you, Mr. Judge 2001! :)

Time in a Bottle seemed fitting.
But ya got me. Luckily I had a dad who cared about what I listened to. When I wanted guitar lessons when I was 12 (95') my old man said he would pay for it, but only if I learned some tunes of his choosing eventually. He went through his vinyl and loaded me up with Beatles, America, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce etc...
Teacher said grunge can wait, and we worked on Here Comes the Sun for weeks to affirm his investment (and still enjoy playing today). This continued for years; dad picking a song I'd dive into and master for him.

Time in a Bottle seemed fitting.
But ya got me. Luckily I had a dad who cared about what I listened to. When I wanted guitar lessons when I was 12 (95') my old man said he would pay for it, but only if I learned some tunes of his choosing eventually. He went through his vinyl and loaded me up with Beatles, America, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce etc...
Teacher said grunge can wait, and we worked on Here Comes the Sun for weeks to affirm his investment (and still enjoy playing today). This continued for years; dad picking a song I'd dive into and master for him.

Going back a little further, "Leo K" is still one of my fav finger guitarists!!

Going back a little further, "Leo K" is still one of my fav finger guitarists!!

Downloaded "Essential Leo Kottke"
and jamming out at work. I dig it- has an Allman Bros feel. Thanks.
Haven't heard new (to me) older stuff in a while since the songs I learn have come full circle. From my dads picks, to my own, to now letting a 9 yr old girl make requests. But I do enjoy it- last week we had a blast with a new Train song "Play that Song" together.
It's so much easier to let your wine age when you have other hobbies to take up your time. Although a glass or 2 of wine does goes well with this hobby- and just about anything else really.

Bottled my first kit wine back in April and it has been good since day 1. However, I am noticing a large difference between how it was then, and how it is drinking now as I open up bottles 4 months later. Agree, time makes all the difference.

Latest posts

Back