Time for degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks boatboy I may try this. I to would like an ALLINONE but for now. I need to save up my pennies.

Your saved pennies will be well spent! I adore my All in One, and Steve is a great help and has become a friend along the way.

Has anyone tried or debunked the method that uses the hand pump for partially finished bottles of wine?

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZjL80hXkHdI[/ame]

I am still working on getting the All-In-One pump but was just curious if this method also worked. Seems like it wasn't totally working since he was able to produce bubbles on multiple occasions. Again, only curious at this point...

Joe

Yes, that was the first one I tired, it did produce results, until it snapped in two, not made for heavy use. I rigged one up using a fluid transfer pump from HF, but eventually got the Mity-Mite and then the Allinonewinepump. Although, the MM still is used with some regularity.

does anyone have any pictures of the brake bleeder attached to a carboy. This sounds like a great idea and I might go get one.

Thanks
There a few ways to do it. I'll see if I can post a pic.
Just attach it to bungs
HTML:
if you don't have a carboy cover.
Degas2_zpsbff773f5.jpg
stick the pump into the other end. Do the same if you use a carboy cover. Just stick pump into the smaller hole and leave white cap on the other hole.
DSC00344.jpg
I have a wine saver on the larger hole. This I could leave wine under vacuum if I wanted to.

Last edited:
thanks this should work will have to run into Madison on Saturday to the Harber Frieght store and see if they have one.

I noticed in the 2nd picture that you were not using an overflow reservoir. Is using it overkill or just a safe practice or not really needed.

How much room do you allow at the top of the carboy?

BTW, thanks so much for the pics. It does help to explain a lot!

Joe

I did the Mity Mite without the reservoir, and almost drew the foam into the unit, good idea to add one.

I leave about two inches or so below the neck, once you start pumping the vacuum and see how much foam you are drawing, you can adjust as needed.

Tony

Last edited:
There are some brake bleeders with plastic handles. Avoid this if possible. I had one and the handle snapped on the second or third kit. Just too much stress on it. The pic shown in this thread looks much better. You will get good exercise degassing with one of these so don't be alarmed.

I noticed in the 2nd picture that you were not using an overflow reservoir. Is using it overkill or just a safe practice or not really needed.
How much room do you allow at the top of the carboy?
BTW, thanks so much for the pics. It does help to explain a lot!

Joe
This is a hands on job so no need for one. Simply keep and eye on you wine, as it raises. Pump away until you see bubbles raise and stop pumping. There's a release valve/pin on the pump. See it there at the bottom? Just press it in, when any danger of wine entering your pump. Ok now after about 5 to 10 minutes, release the gas/pressure and pump some more. Get pressure up to about 30. repeat this until all gas is gone.
That's why I put my wine savor onto the other port of the carboy cover. I'll just press on that you release pressure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back