Throwing in the towel on the Brunello.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you win

As amateur winemakers, the quality of the product that we start off with is very very important, like Rocky. Some of the buckets of juice I have bought were very good and some not up to par .. I stated in the past that I think that the bucket juice is not always up to par , and I stand behind that .Rocky, sometimes you have to throw the towel,when it comes to white wines it is there or not, the must that settles in the bottom of the bucket during fermentation tells you how much solids are in the wine structure. Usually, very little in the whites but are much stronger in the Reds, sometimes it is better to know when to throwing in the towel, taken from a guy who knows how to Frankenstein, a wine, better to keep your standards high, do not you think,?

Last edited:
Really Rocky?Giving away wine that you say is not worthy?I hope not.I would never give wine to my friends that i was not proud of!!!!

Joe and Rock, I guess that I did not explain myself very accurately. The blended wine, "Brurolo," is really great. It is one of the best wines that I have ever made. That is my point. I had two wines that were disappointing and was able to blend them into a wine that I am very proud to give to friends. Sorry that I was not clear on that. I plan to enter this wine in the 2013 Pittsbugh Amateur Winemakers Competition.

Rocky, I think I'll have to taste one to be certain that it is really that good, you can feel free to send it to my address at....lol

Joe and Rock, I guess that I did not explain myself very accurately. The blended wine, "Brurolo," is really great. It is one of the best wines that I have ever made. That is my point. I had two wines that were disappointing and was able to blend them into a wine that I am very proud to give to friends. Sorry that I was not clear on that. I plan to enter this wine in the 2013 Pittsbugh Amateur Winemakers Competition.
OOOOWell cheers to that.Good luck in the competition.

Update: Today I bottled 66 bottles of "Gourmet Select," the last of my Brunello-Barolo blend. A few weeks ago I bottled the 1 each 5 gallon carboys of straight Brunello and Granbarolo, both of which were improving. Thus endeth the odyssey of my disappointing Brunello (from Italian juice) and Granbarolo (from MM AllJuice Masters Edition).

The point I would like to leave you all with is never to give up on a wine and always try to find a way to make it something you love. I used to tell my little daughter (who is now 46), "Christopher Columbus never gave up. Benjamin Franklin never gave up. Oliver Twiddledee (Who's he???)... See? You don't know because he gave up."

Happy winemaking!

Great to hear that brunello finally made it!

This time next week I'll be up near Venice tasting some barolo. Verona a few days later for sure sampling some Amarone. The agriturismo, where we're staying outside of Verona also has their own vineyard and winery, where they produce Amarone. The wine maker is supposed to give us a tour of the winery and of course some tastings. When I raise a glass, I'll toast you, Rocky.

Rocky, :ft all I can say is thank God you finally came to your senses. Just remember any wine that is not coming out the way you want it to is headed to the blending room!

This time next week I'll be up near Venice tasting some barolo. Verona a few days later for sure sampling some Amarone. The agriturismo, where we're staying outside of Verona also has their own vineyard and winery, where they produce Amarone. The wine maker is supposed to give us a tour of the winery and of course some tastings. When I raise a glass, I'll toast you, Rocky.

Good for you Robie. I hope you have a great time in Italy. That "Agriturismo" system that they have in Italy is truly amazing. I believe that the farm, vineyard, cheese factory, etc. has to earn at least half of their income from the production of their specialty and the remainder from tourism, in order to be classified as an "Agriturismo" and be subsidized by the Italian government. When we stayed near Pienza in southern Tuscany, I got the feeling that more than half of their income came from tourism because they insisted on payment in cash for most things. In any case, it was the best vacation that we have ever had. We plan to return in 2014.

Robie - if you are handy and have time I would recommend visiting Castlefranco Veneto, just putside of Venice, toward Verona. It is a great town to sight see, especially the old walled part and they have a wonderful outdoor market. We spent some time there with an exchange student we had previously hosted. Great old world experience without the hordes of tourists in Venice. In olden days the merchants of Venice went there to vacation.

Robie - if you are handy and have time I would recommend visiting Castlefranco Veneto, just putside of Venice, toward Verona. It is a great town to sight see, especially the old walled part and they have a wonderful outdoor market. We spent some time there with an exchange student we had previously hosted. Great old world experience without the hordes of tourists in Venice. In olden days the merchants of Venice went there to vacation.

Thanks. I'll take a look at it. We are staying a few miles west of Venice. (I don't have it in front of me but it just might be we are staying where you are suggesting we visit.) Neither of us really care for spending time in Venice, it was just a part of the package. We plan on spending 1/2 day there, just so we can say we've been there. The rest of the two day allotted to that region will be spent seeing other places and traveling down the Adriatic Sea coast.

Good for you Robie. I hope you have a great time in Italy. That "Agriturismo" system that they have in Italy is truly amazing. I believe that the farm, vineyard, cheese factory, etc. has to earn at least half of their income from the production of their specialty and the remainder from tourism, in order to be classified as an "Agriturismo" and be subsidized by the Italian government. When we stayed near Pienza in southern Tuscany, I got the feeling that more than half of their income came from tourism because they insisted on payment in cash for most things. In any case, it was the best vacation that we have ever had. We plan to return in 2014.

Thanks, Rocky. We'll be in Italy for 10 days... the trip of a lifetime for us. 2 days in Rome, 4 in Tuscany, 2 in Venice, and 2 in Verona. I believe the highlight will be a day trip to Cinque Terra - 5 towns built into the cliffs on the west coast. Look it up on google. I can hardly wait!!!

Italy

JUST,RETURNED FROM NEW MEXICO,NO AMARONE HERE BUT SOME REALLY GOOD TEQUILA,WOULD LOVE TO DO A ITALIAN WINE TRAIL TOUR IN THE NEAR FUTURE,YOUR A LUCKY MAN,,,,,,:wy

Robie,
If you have time while in Tuscany, friends if mine own a winery/vineyard/bed and breakfast in Radda in Chianti called fattoria il Poggerino.
Thier names are Stefano and Benedetta. The area is incredible, beautiful is an understatement! their wine is amazing, they even press their own olive oil.
Well worth the trip.

Last edited:
Joe, what part of New Mexico, I lived in most of the state at one time or another.

Tucson

Last year, we did visit to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, AND sky city. Like most vacations , once you get started , it is time to leave. Friends of ours wanted to go see New Mexico this year and so we said yes. We would go also . He works for the Hilton as a manager and gets outstanding room rates so there was no question.

We flew from Newark to Dallas, Dallas to Albuquerque picked up the car in Albuquerque and drove 13 miles north of Santa Fe to a place called Buffalo thunder, that is? That was our point of destination, from there we went to Taos, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and sky city. It was wonderful week in review for me in review, to take in the sights that I have already seen, this time detail, would like to see other pueblos, but did not have the time, next time I am going to make the time and expense of going to Chaco Canyon, the flights were horrendous. Do not use American Airlines at any cost. There were disrespectful and time delayed but that is another story................... yours , JP N

Last edited:
Chaco Canyon is amazing, can be hot and dry so go prepared. Also the train from Chama, New Mexico to Antionio is well worth the trip, but our next trai. Ride we will go from Chama to the half way house and ride the bus back to Chama. From the half way house to Antionio is flat and not as scenic. Pay the extra and get the rear coach car, big comfy seats and free sodas and snacks - well worth it.

Latest posts

Back