Mosti Mondiale Through The Grapevine Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pettyus

Junior
Reaction score
Just picked this kit up pretty cheaply and was reading the instructions and noticed that there wasn't any indication on what the starting SG should be (day 1 hydrometer reading)...does anyone have any experience with this kit who could share?

Use within the range of 1.090-1.100 s.g. I've never done this particular kit, but all Sauv. Blancs will do well at this range.

Fred

I ahven't made this kit and have no experience with this brand. However, I would have guessed 1.080 to 1.086 based on other brands with this kind of quality.

Steve

Pettyus,
I would have guessed 1.080 to 1.086 based on other brands with this kind of quality.

As you can tell by the difference between cpfan and me, winemaking is largely dependent upon what you want your outcome to be stylistically. I guess I prefer a little more alcohol in my finished wine than he does. I've done a number of Sauv. Blancs and 1.090-1.100 is the range I like.

I just started a RJS Cru Select Platinum Sauv. Blanc yesterday and the RJS instructions say the s.g. "should be 1.074-1.110." So you see there's some latitude and what you choose to use within this range depends on what you want the final ABV to be and whether you want it to finish completely dry or with a little residual sweetness.

Fred

Latest posts

Back