Three pounds of frozen petals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Does anyone know the definitive volume or weight of dandelion petals to make dandelion wine? Last year I made a decent dandelion mead using about 3 pints of petals to make 1 gallon. This year I have harvested (so far) about 3 lbs of petals (frozen). Do you think that that may be enough to make 3 gallons? Thoughts? Thanks

I do 4 liter primary/ gallon batches, examples:
3 quarts flower heads = 149.8 gm petal
a four liter ferment used 230.2 gm petals
3 quarts of flower heads (505gm) = 279 gm (58.8% yield) of petals
and the last time 4 plastic buckets = 365.7 gm

Thanks, Rice_Guy. Thank you.
This is very helpful. And so rounding, to make 1 US gallon you would use about half a pound (8 oz) of petals and with 3 lbs of petals I could make 6 gallons? And that makes a rich enough flavored wine?

the term is dandelion is DELICATE, I will guess that you will not have a rich flavor, what I have done is double what ECKrause or Jack would put in a gallon. Technically I go 4 liter to 3.79 liter to 3 liter In racking. ,,, Today I might start with the 5 literBig Mouth Bubbler racked to 4 liter Etc
When I did this my favorite was to put it in a bland pear juice backbone, a straight chemicals (Fermaid etc EC Krause) was next.
? And that makes a rich enough flavored wine?

Here's my thing: I often make elderflower wine and while that is a rich flavored wine it is not like say a Riesling but you cannot miss the flavors. When I used (last year) 3 pints of petals (their weight presses down so I have no good sense of what that volume is objectively) the flavor was rich and enjoyable... BUT I made this as a mead and some of the flavors came from the honey and some came from the gesho I also used (OK it was a dandelion t'ej) but this year I was planning on making a more traditional dandelion wine... and so was wondering if say, 8 oz per gallon would be enough or whether I should aim for 1 lb of petals /gallon. Is this like money or weight? You can never have too much money or never be too slim (and you can never use too many petals)?

I have not made elder flower wine, I like it‘s aroma when walking by the elderberry and thought a lot of aroma was lost making a flower tea. In contrast I can mow dandelions and not have a flowery sensation.
The classic description as delicate , , possibly sounds better than weak/ citrusy/ floral. In the Midwest I am about half way through flower season. My impression from producing about a pint of petals a day is that the flavor is strongest about a week into the flower cycle. Picking petals is time intensive, unless you can hire the neighbor kids, my guess is it will be self limiting.

Sorry I can’t give a better answer.

Does anyone know the definitive volume or weight of dandelion petals to make dandelion wine? Last year I made a decent dandelion mead using about 3 pints of petals to make 1 gallon. This year I have harvested (so far) about 3 lbs of petals (frozen). Do you think that that may be enough to make 3 gallons? Thoughts? Thanks
WOW, that's true dedication, that is a lot of petals 👍
Dawg

@BernardSmith When I was researching how to deal with my lilac last year- I read everything possible on amounts of petals. Most recipes or discussion ended up with volume to volume, not weight. It took quite some time - but finding and reading the people who -did- use weight, I settled on 1 pound per gallon for the delicate flowers. 8 oz per gallon for stronger scents/tastes/ or adding a grape/apple backbone. I'd rather have a too-strong wine I need to blend, than one that is somewhat blah.

Latest posts

Back