This year's Crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like there is not as much activity here for this time of year! So, here are some pics of this year's crush.

We did a Zin as always 80% Old vine Zin / 12% Carignane / 8% Alicante Bouschet. Also a Cab 42% / Sangiovese 42% / Merlot 16%

Ferment is well under way with Avante and Bravo again this year. Pressing this weekend.

Zin 2022.jpgSangiovese 2022.jpgZinfandel 2022.jpg2022 cases.jpg

Ferment is well under way with Avante and Bravo again this year. Pressing this weekend.
Really plump looking fruit. You say you're pressing this weekend - that's in 3 or 4 days. Obviously, you're planning on pressing before AF has completed unless there's a several day delay in your supplied pics. Can you share your thoughts on that?

It has been six days since pitching the yeast and we're almost completely dry today. Plan is to press on Saturday... I'll take some pics of my old press that has been in the family since 1956!

Fruit was really nice this year, especially the Zin.

Wow! Definitely some drop dead gorgeous fruit you got there. And you are in Canada?

Seems like there is not as much activity here for this time of year! So, here are some pics of this year's crush.

We did a Zin as always 80% Old vine Zin / 12% Carignane / 8% Alicante Bouschet. Also a Cab 42% / Sangiovese 42% / Merlot 16%

View attachment 93673View attachment 93674View attachment 93675View attachment 93677

Yes, in Montreal Canada. The fruit is from Lodi, and we get it here under the Caterina label, it's normally really nice. From what I understand, it's distributed from Elkhorn fruit company in Lodi.

1665065606718.png

Tempranillo - we destem by hand and it is obvious my wife did this 7 gallon bucket since the grapes are still intact and so clean (have another full 7 gallon bucket out of the picture that I did that is much messier). Mashed them with a potato masher, measured sugar and PH (24 and 3.6), dumped a packet of premier rouge, fermented for about 6 days to 1.01, did a light press and combined the juice in one completely full 7 gallon bucket, fermented to dry for a week or so, racked into 3.5 gallon jars. Will let sit till around thanksgiving before I think about racking again. Only 10 more buckets to go ; )
PXL_20220920_032009311.jpg

Hopefully this isn't too many photos in a single post...! Here's a few random samples from my 2022 efforts.

This year's fruit (5 lugs, 180 lb) was Zinfandel 26 brix, Barbera 22 brix, Merlot 22.8 brix, and Sauvignon Blanc 23.6 brix, all trucked in from Lodi/Central Valley. I sourced the grapes from Corrado's in Clifton NJ which is 20 minutes from where I live.

After crushing, I pulled 2L of juice each from the Barbera and Merlot (saignée method) and combined them 50/50 to make a small 4L batch of rosé, which I have never tried before. The Sauv. Blanc is obviously on its own; I'm aging sur lie with 10g/gal American oak on that one, going for something less edgy/acidic and a bit deeper. The grapes and pressed juice are shown below.

After fermenting each varietal individually, I pressed the Zin and Barbera together as a 7:3 blend (6 gal). I pressed Merlot by itself but ended up blending it with some of the Zin mix in a 2:1 ratio (3 gal) since the Merlot seemed a little flat on its own.

Everything is racked and topped up in various states of rest at the moment, awaiting next steps. I also have a blueberry wine going in primary, not pictured!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_202f.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_202d.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2030.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2000.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2002.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_201b.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2020.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2027.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_205e.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2034.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_202f.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_202d.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2030.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2000.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2002.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_201b.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2020.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2027.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_205e.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2034.jpg

Hopefully this isn't too many photos in a single post...! Here's a few random samples from my 2022 efforts.
the answer is no. There is no such thing as “too many photos“ on this site!

great post btw. I grabbed grapes from Corrado’s once before. I love how they line up all the gear outside in the lot. when you pull up it’s like an army of barrels and demijohns in battle-ready formation. Congrats on a another successful wine season.

Congrats on a another successful wine season.
Thanks! Well, it seems off to a good start, anyway.

The scene at Corrado's is fun. Contractor vans and pickup trucks backed up to the loading dock, various middle aged guys of mostly southern European descent, clearly enthusiastic to commence the yearly ritual.

I have seen some negative comments about Corrado's, but they're so much closer to me than Gino Pinto, and that enables me to be impulsive which is what typically happens when my schedule has an opening. There's a place in Elizabeth (Europa Pombalense) that I may check out next year. But honestly, I have no complaints about the 2021 and 2022 grapes I've gotten from Corrado's.

Here's to good wine from this year's grapes in 2023!

Thanks! Well, it seems off to a good start, anyway.

The scene at Corrado's is fun. Contractor vans and pickup trucks backed up to the loading dock, various middle aged guys of mostly southern European descent, clearly enthusiastic to commence the yearly ritual.

I have seen some negative comments about Corrado's, but they're so much closer to me than Gino Pinto, and that enables me to be impulsive which is what typically happens when my schedule has an opening. There's a place in Elizabeth (Europa Pombalense) that I may check out next year. But honestly, I have no complaints about the 2021 and 2022 grapes I've gotten from Corrado's.

Here's to good wine from this year's grapes in 2023!
I get all my grapes from friends vineyards, local wineries sometimes sell me excess fruit and etc. I work in the industry so it’s pretty easy to get grapes and borrow macro bins and etc

We did 4 lugs of DeChaunac and another 6 of Steuben. This was the first time I did a saignee and was amazed at how thick the remaining must was. I ended up just breaking the cap and stirring by hand. Well, sanitized hand… I didn’t expect the variety of temperature of the must either. I thought it would be more uniform. The cap was warm, the must just underneath really warm, and the bottom quite cool.

69191A77-D680-4E5A-A08B-8CBF928BC5EE.jpegABD58CCD-1D35-42F9-AA39-13DDEB3434F6.jpeg9248EAE9-C1B7-44B3-9565-FB050B57A9B8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back