This years crop and cluster thinning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grapes are doing the best ever this year. Early in the spring I was afraid I overpruned, but now they are doing very well. I’m experimenting with cluster thinning on four rows and letting the other rows be as productive as they are. I’ve thinned to one cluster per shoot. There is a lot of contradictory data on cluster thinning, I couldn’t find anything specific for cluster thinning Marquette grapes. Most research focuses on European grape varieties which generally have a long growing season compared to northern grapes. Anyone have experience thinning Marquette please chime in.IMG_2953.jpeg

My grapes are doing the best ever this year. Early in the spring I was afraid I overpruned, but now they are doing very well. I’m experimenting with cluster thinning on four rows and letting the other rows be as productive as they are. I’ve thinned to one cluster per shoot. There is a lot of contradictory data on cluster thinning, I couldn’t find anything specific for cluster thinning Marquette grapes. Most research focuses on European grape varieties which generally have a long growing season compared to northern grapes. Anyone have experience thinning Marquette please chime in.View attachment 101883
They look really nice. Two years ago I tried a similar test, didn't notice much difference.

What % of clusters would you say you are removing? I believe I’ve read elsewhere it may affect both yield and quality. Do you plan on fermenting them separately?

What % of clusters would you say you are removing? I believe I’ve read elsewhere it may affect both yield and quality. Do you plan on fermenting them separately?
On the four rows I did, I took them down to one cluster per shoot so 50%. I’ll probably ferment it all together, but analyze the juice separately. I think Vern is right probably won’t be a lot of difference, Marquette can handle a lot of clusters, last year I stopped counting on one vine at 160 ripe clusters. Every vineyard is different, Vern has better soil and warmer climes than I do, so maybe I’ll have less but bigger clusters. It’s still a new variety so we need to experiment with it.

On the four rows I did, I took them down to one cluster per shoot so 50%. I’ll probably ferment it all together, but analyze the juice separately. I think Vern is right probably won’t be a lot of difference, Marquette can handle a lot of clusters, last year I stopped counting on one vine at 160 ripe clusters. Every vineyard is different, Vern has better soil and warmer climes than I do, so maybe I’ll have less but bigger clusters. It’s still a new variety so we need to experiment with it.
My testing was limited to brix, ph, and taste.

Back