This Years Cab Sav

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

openwheel

Junior
Reaction score
This how I spent Saturday night 860lbs of Cab Sav grapes to stomp and crush destem. We ended up with around 88 gallons of must. Then the party started.

61984_1400895065714_1332436602_30957060_8228206_n.jpg

33878_1400889825583_1332436602_30957011_6845977_n.jpg

860 pounds is a BIG party, if you have to stomp all those grapes. Someone is going to have purple toenail polish before this is over.
Really looks good. I'd like to have about 150 pounds of them, myself.
Are these grapes from your own vineyard or did you purchase them from a nearby vineyard?

I am sure your efforts are going to be well rewarded in a couple of years.

They are from some friends of mine. I think it is a 10 acre vineyard. We had enough people to stomp them all in about a hour. also this was the end of their harest. I have some Cab sav and cab Franc from the same vineyard from 2 years ago and yes it taste good now, but will be better with age.

Last edited:
If you wash the feet first, then perhaps hit them with som K-Meta solution, they should be cleaner than any other part of your body.

Hi. I'm new to this forum and have a question if anyone knows the answer. Just finished fermentation on 600 lbs of cabernet sauvignon. Already pressed and finishing secondary fermentation now, about 45gal of wine. The must acidity was about .6%, but now has risen to .8%. I thought fermentation lowers acidity rather than raise it. Does this happen and whats the best way to lower it? Tastes a bit tart already. Thanks.

Hi. I'm new to this forum and have a question if anyone knows the answer. Just finished fermentation on 600 lbs of cabernet sauvignon. Already pressed and finishing secondary fermentation now, about 45gal of wine. The must acidity was about .6%, but now has risen to .8%. I thought fermentation lowers acidity rather than raise it. Does this happen and whats the best way to lower it? Tastes a bit tart already. Thanks.

did you add malolactic cultures? MLF can round out your acids pretty nicely, and you're probably early enough yet that the wine has enough nutrients in it to effectively convert.

I agree with above. tghings can shift either way during fermentation. Did you sulfite your wine not? if not dont and either get a Mlao-Lactic bacteria to add to your wine along with some Malo lactic nutrient and start ASAP or if youve already sulfites then you could add some Potassium Bicarbonate to drop the acid level or you could cold stabilize the wine to drop some acid out.

The way i understand it is. Sometimes during fermentation, more acid will leech out of the skins. I agree with the others about mlf. Potassium Bicarbonate is also an option, although at .8, i wouldn't reduce any more than .15 with this method. If you go this route, you should cold stabilize.
Hope this helps

Kevin

What is your ph as thats actually more important and adjusting TA doesnt always do much to your PH.

What is your ph as thats actually more important and adjusting TA doesnt always do much to your PH.

I don't really worry about the ph too much. I try to get my acid on reds .55 to .70 preferment and my whites .60 to .80 preferment. Usually if i do this everything comes out pretty well after ferment. Sometimes with red Ph will creep up a little, but i just run the A/O test and use the correct amount of
K-Meta per ph at bottling.

Kevin

thanks to all for responding. I did add about 75ppm sulfite at crush. Does that make MLF not the best option? What about Ca carbonate to lower the TA as the wine is still very young? Maybe doesn't need to be cold stabilized if CaCo used instead of KCo? My PH is currently 3.4. Much appreciate the feedback.

Back