This Vernal Equinox I'm making a Strawberry Cranberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betnwar

OZARK AS HELL
Reaction score
Howdy. It's been a while since I've stopped by. I've been kicking out a few meads and country wines since I've last stopped by. Still haven't tried that licorice wine I was so hell bent on trying. It's just not as down home and natural as I seem to be taking things nowadays... I recently got married. Legally. Our ceremony will be just before Fall. I've been preparing a nice melomel. Raw local honey with peaches, cinnamon, and cranberries. It's been a trip. I made a huge batch of that melomel and we plan on downing that during our ceremony and letting people toast with it.

Today is the Vernal Equinox... I'm not a hippy or a pagan or any of that. But I do pay homage to my European ancestry by respecting old customs. I also keep many traditions long lost to the religions of the East.

I guess you could say I'm a heathen or sorts. Anyways...

I went and picked up some yeast today and was set on only buying that. Instead I walked out spending $100. As I tend to do.

My big purchase was a 5 liter oak barrel. Here it sits curing in my sink.

winebarrel.jpg

Check them out here... http://www.swishbarrel.com/

I'm going to use mine for dispensing my melomel at my wedding reception and maybe a few wines in my kitchen. They're promoting use for holding spirits and homemade spirits. I'm not sure the legality of that. Check their barrels either way.

Back to the point of the post.

I'm dedicating this batch to Spring and the possible harvest it will make. This Autmnal Eqinox I'm going to crack it open with some friends and throw together a small feast. I chose strawberry because it reminds me of Spring and early Summer. It's a great way to look back on the year. Taste and smell have a very high contribution to memory. What better way to remember how the seasons have changed? I'll throw together another batch then and open it up a year from now.

I'm really stoked on what I've got planned.

Here's the recipe and some quick steps...

3.5 lbs of Strawberries
2 lbs of Cranberries
(both blended)

1.5 gallons of water

2.75 lbs of sugar

1 tsp Acid
1/4 tsp Tannin
1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp. Nutrient

I'm aiming for a starting SG of 1.09-ish. I may add more sugar if I need to.

I'm more of a "wing it" type of guy.

Hope everyone is having a great start to this Spring. Cheers.:ea

Sounds Amazing! Congratulations on the wedding as well :br

You're not from Avoca, PA, are you? lol

Finally Got the yeast to take off. I got a little nervous. Then I checked my temps. It's always the temps.

[
3.5 lbs of Strawberries
2 lbs of Cranberries
(both blended)

1.5 gallons of water

2.75 lbs of sugar

1 tsp Acid
1/4 tsp Tannin
1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp. Nutrient

I'm aiming for a starting SG of 1.09-ish. I may add more sugar if I need to.

I'm more of a "wing it" type of guy.

Hope everyone is having a great start to this Spring. Cheers.:ea[/QUOTE]

Just a suggestion. I wouldn't use a blender on the fruit. It seems to break up the seeds and gives the wine a slightly bitter taste. When I do cranberry, I use a pastry blender. The one with flat tines, not round. I use a rounded-bottom stainless bowl. After unthawing the fruit, put several cups of fruit in the pan and smush the fruit.

As far as Spring and the infernal equinox goes, forget it. We are still freezing up here!!!!

Think SUMMER.

Back