This is my set up right now. Find whats wrong.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
YOU HAVE TO SAY ONE THING POSITIVE AND ONE THING NEGATIVE.

Try to be creative.

Thanks

Bbb

20181003_203948.jpeg20181003_203809.jpeg

Last edited:
Will try and be as creative as possible.

The good — you’ve got a plethora of wines there. Open minded and willing to make just about anything it seems. That’s great. All my wines are the same damn color. You’ve got a rainbow. Definitely NOT boring.

The bad- looks like wifey banished you to a random corner and the dungeon-like basement. More space is always needed (and a sink). She must be one tough broad!
* also I think this might be bad too. I see from your profile your birth date is March 15th. And if HS literature memory serves, we are supposed to “Beware the ides of March” -aka- your birthday!

Pro - Nice diversity of wines.
Con - For those with OCD, your carboys are not lined up straight, by sizes and color (even the slightest tint matters). And all your air locks don't match...... :)

Seriously.... IMHO, you seem to be doing fine.
Just replaced all the air locks with waterless ones. I got all my boys on craigslist. I think i have every size even 7 gallon. If i could id do all 3 gallons. Much easier to move around. The colors wont matter when i mix it all in a giant batch. "BENSFARM", BETTER THEN "BOONESFARM" AND CURES WHAT AILES YA.[emoji13]

The weight of the two carboys sitting on the shelf unit makes me nervous, better anchor that unit to the wall. Everything else looks good.
Its pretty solid but after all the comments ive gotten nervous. Im thinking one of the old school anchors like on the titanic but for now all i can afford are the ones thst uou get with a row boat.

OSB on the floor, great idea but milk crates make it easier. The problem I see is not enough bottles, or maybe your bottle of choice is a one gallon carboy. LOL!
I actually get free 1 gallon glass apple juice jugs for my work. I pay for them in dragons blood. Im getting the all in one pump soon so no need for milk crates except for lugging the carboys down to the dungeon. I was slidding them on the floor part of the way but the pieces of kitty litter kicked out of the box where scratching my floor. Next puchase 2 wheel dolly.[emoji106] [emoji106]

The bad: I would not have a litterbox anywhere near your wine making area.
The good: Nice assortment of wines.
When i got my cat i said to the shelter "give me your meanest cat that still uses the litter box." My dragons blood tastes fine everything else ages in the basement away from the litter box. Added benefit, anyone who tries to steal my wine has to deal with my cat "cheekums.[emoji78] "

The beer bottles are empty! If you are going to invite us in, at least have some beer on hand.

I agree with what was said earlier, put a couple of anchors up higher into the wall to avoid tipping. Don't want you to waste good wine!
I just got a muntons irish stout kit in the mail. Cheapest stout kit i could find (23 dollars amazon.) Gonna add cacao nibs in secondary and use demerra instead of dextrose. It will be my first beer. Somthing i can make without a mashton or a brew kettle but i do plan on exspanding into a bigger beer operation. I do live in wisconsin.[emoji41] my dream is the keezer with 3 taps. sparkling Db, stout and rotating beer and sparkling wine. Somthing for everyone who comes over.[emoji106]

Et tu, Brute! Its my gf and she just gave birth to our twins "Morris" and "Zora." After that she can banish me too what ever corner she wants[emoji16][emoji4]. I have a water hook up im just waiting for a utility sink to show up on craigslist. At my work i get a ton of free produce (today i got 2 pounds of roasted garlic and a pound of figs.) This allows me a lot of freedom to experiment. After bringing in free bottles of dragons blood all of a sudden everyone is willing to give up there produce for that sweet sweet wine[emoji12]!

A must have for me was a tall, sturdy work surface, a bench of some sorts with space underneath to store carboys or supplies.
View attachment 51467
Oh i wish. Im waiting for a stainless steel prep table to show up on craigslist. My basement is wet and that compressed wood wont last long. As you can see i have perfect place to store all my chems and adatives. Right above my primaries and secondaries where if they fall they wont be wasted.[emoji6]

I can't add anything that someone hasn't already said. However, never make batches smaller than 5 gallons. I used to do some 1 gallon batches ... each time it seemed that I produced something really good ... and had only 5 bottles. :-(

I do port wine kits -- have a 2 yo Orange Chocolate Port, just bottled a Black Forest (chocolate cherry) Port, am feeding an elderberry wine to jack the alcohol up to 18% and will sweeten, and have a Coffee Port waiting for a free 3.5 gallon carboy. [I'm not really into sweet wines, but all taste far better when aged more than 5 years and the only way to do that is to massively overproduce!] I bottle these in 375 ml bottles so they last longer ...

Back