This doesn't look good

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased a 6 gallon bucket of Chancellor from the Finger Lakes. It fermented down to .996 and I racked it to a 5 gallon carboy and 1 gallon jug. I noticed a grit or sandlike material on the side of the bucket as it drained. That seemed odd to me. It's been two weeks and I can see that same gritty material on the side of the 5 gallon carboy. The gallon jug has a layer of what looks like "white mold" floating on top. Never ever experienced this before but I have heard stories about the Finger Lakes having issues with mold. So what do I do with it? The 5 gallon doesn't have anything floating on top but it's the same batch. And curiously enough, both vessels still have an active airlock.

What do I do next? Is it salvageable? My sanitation practices are meticulous can't be sure of the local shop that went to pick up the juice and fill my bucket.

Thanks

mold.jpg

carboy.jpg

The grit I wouldn't be concerned about as it's probably just tartrates dropping out. Mold would be unusual in wine that fermented dry and is topped up and air-locked. Take the material out and get a closer look, and see if over time more appears on the surface.

The grit I wouldn't be concerned about as it's probably just tartrates dropping out. Mold would be unusual in wine that fermented dry and is topped up and air-locked. Take the material out and get a closer look, and see if over time more appears on the surface.

I racked out the gallon jug with the mold into a bucket through a sulfite soaked cloth into a bucket. It smells quite good actually. I added a tiny bit of sulfite to a clean gallon jug and racked into it. I will keep an eye on it.

I racked out the gallon jug with the mold into a bucket through a sulfite soaked cloth into a bucket. It smells quite good actually. I added a tiny bit of sulfite to a clean gallon jug and racked into it. I will keep an eye on it.

That's a pretty good action. Just stay on top of your sulfite additions and keep the headspace to a minimum and all should be just fine.

That's a pretty good action. Just stay on top of your sulfite additions and keep the headspace to a minimum and all should be well

Saying sulfite additions is a bit vague. Do you mean Sodium Metabisulphite or Potassium Metabisulphite. I’ve always been confused by the abbreviated term.

Saying sulfite additions is a bit vague. Do you mean Sodium Metabisulphite or Potassium Metabisulphite. I’ve always been confused by the abbreviated term.

Both the sodium and potassium forms are useful as sanitizers and can be used interchangeably for that purpose, the potassium form is the one to use as a wine additive for free sulfite. It is my understanding that the sodium form affects the taste of the wine. Personally, I just keep the Potassium Metabisulfite on hand and use it for both sanitizing and for adding to my wine, that way I can never make a mistake by adding the wrong one.

Both the sodium and potassium forms are useful as sanitizers and can be used interchangeably for that purpose, the potassium form is the one to use as a wine additive for free sulfite. It is my understanding that the sodium form affects the taste of the wine. Personally, I just keep the Potassium Metabisulfite on hand and use it for both sanitizing and for adding to my wine, that way I can never make a mistake by adding the wrong one.

Understood. In this case I used a pinch of sodium metabisulphite on a 1/8 tsp in the gallon to kill any possible wild yeast. Not sure if the potassium metabisulphite would have accomplished the same. I am open to hearing from others on this.

Understood. In this case I used a pinch of sodium metabisulphite on a 1/8 tsp in the gallon to kill any possible wild yeast. Not sure if the potassium metabisulphite would have accomplished the same. I am open to hearing from others on this.

The potassium is every bit as effective as the sodium, without the bad taste potential. I’ve made thousands of gallons of wine using K-Meta with nary an I’ll result. If you need reassurance from others, so be it.

The potassium is every bit as effective as the sodium, without the bad taste potential. I’ve made thousands of gallons of wine using K-Meta with nary an I’ll result. If you need reassurance from others, so be it.

please do not feel insulted by my response. Just looking for as much feedback as possible.

The cation (potassium vs. sodium) is of no consequence regarding the sterilizing properties. The germicidal properties comes from the sulfite moiety, which is identical between Na-meta and K-meta.

It is probably an aerobic organising since it is floating on top(that is a complete SWAG by the way). I a similar issue once, sprayed it with meta a couple of times through out the day and then transfered it to another carboy, but racked up with in an 1/2" of the airlock to minimize any additional available air. Sprayed the head space and put on the airlock. The wine turned out fine...

Latest posts

Back