Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
:pic I know theres recipes out there for this type of wine ,but has anyone made a really flavorful almond wine and what was the trick if any ,Im:sm looking to expand my wine cellar and tried this before commercially and it was very good in body and flavor..........:sm

I'm 1st in line when its bottled.....

I hve not either but someone on here made a roasted Pecan wine and I am still witing for that recipe to magically appear here!!!!!!!!!!! That just sounds delish!!!! Joe, glad to see you back on here!

nut wines take a lot of work. if not done right, they will spoil and/or not get good flavor. not to mention they are not cheap to experiment with. all i can say is, good luck!

Pecan Wine Recipe

I hve not either but someone on here made a roasted Pecan wine and I am still witing for that recipe to magically appear here!!!!!!!!!!! That just sounds delish!!!! Joe, glad to see you back on here!

Here it IS Wade. I have had some people tell me this is the best wine I have ever made. It is the HARDEST (next to coconut) one I have ever made, requiring a lot of work due to nearly weekly rackings to rack off the floating oil that will go rancid if not watched.

Pecan Wine-1 gallon that tastes like bourbon:

1 gal. fresh-shelled pecans (remove as much pithe as possible)
2 gal. very hot water (not boiling)--with rackings, you should net 1 gal.
2 crushed campden tabs, another around 5th racking
Lt. Brown suger to 1.122 s/g (about 2.5 bags)
1 t. yeast energizer
2 t. yeast nutrient
2 t. acid blend (I used Fruit Fresh)
1 pkt. Premier Cuvee (because it can be used for cold fermentation to 45F)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Pour hot water over pecans in primary with crushed campden, stir well, sit overnight

Next morning, remove the pecans and add the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle yeast on top. DONT MAKE COOKIES WITH THESE unless you love fruitcake. They DO make very good toasted candied nuts, though.

When s/g ~ 1.020, rack (this was in only 5 DAYS for me!) and place in fridge (or outside in shaded area, as long as it's not less than 45F outside.) I did not use airlocks, but rather, used glass containers with the lids slightly loosened. These anaerobic conditions coupled with cold temps may have helped bacteria from not forming when the pecan oil started to become rancid.

You will notice even with cold fermentation, you still have a vigorous bubbling. I racked this liquor almost every 2-4 weeks using wads of paper towels to sop up the oil floating at the very top. With each racking, vigourously splash rack (de-gas) if fermentation still shows visible bubbling to release gas. Liquor started to clear around the 4th rack for me.

Added 1 campden at my 5th racking when my s/g stabilized at .9880 a couple rackings in a row. I started this wine 11-8-09 and just did my 6th rack 1-16-10, and no more oil is separating on the top.

It's dark amber, with crazy lace and boozey smell. I plan to let this sit a bit more before I do my last stabilizing rack with .5t sorbate, if needed at all since I am at ~17alc.

:pic I know theres recipes out there for this type of wine ,but has anyone made a really flavorful almond wine and what was the trick if any ,Im:sm looking to expand my wine cellar and tried this before commercially and it was very good in body and flavor..........:sm

I've never made only an almond wine, but I have added whole almonds to a cherry wine during secondary fermentation. It resulted an amazing cherry almond.

I've never made only an almond wine, but I have added whole almonds to a cherry wine during secondary fermentation. It resulted an amazing cherry almond.

How many almonds did you add per gallon? Was there an issue with the oils? I am guessing you can buy just plain shelled almonds, right? I just started a cherry and I am doing half with chocolate and the other half was going to be plain. Can you explain what you did please?

Awesome, thanks NGN. I think I will try this when fall hits and roast the pecans fist. OMG that has to smell great in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many almonds did you add per gallon? Was there an issue with the oils? I am guessing you can buy just plain shelled almonds, right? I just started a cherry and I am doing half with chocolate and the other half was going to be plain. Can you explain what you did please?

I added 12 whole, shelled almonds to a magnum of cherry as an experiment. No problem with any oild, but it did raise the tannin factor (pithe on the nuts...so try to compensate in the beginning when you are adding your chemicals.) Please don't make me do math on a Friday afternoon. Killed too many brain cells last night at the b-day bash. A friend bought a bottle of Frank Capolla Merlot over...good stuff..then we hit my mum mead. Yeesh. Still, here I am at work.:d

Awesome, thanks NGN. I think I will try this when fall hits and roast the pecans fist. OMG that has to smell great in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!

Break a leg dealing with those rotting, floating oils, Wade! I would start with a large batch because starting with 2 gallons netted me only 1. THAT'S SACRIFICE!!!! And the pecans to make great candied pecans after the fact using brown sugar, whipped egg whites and some spices.

Almond wine saga

Well when last we talk I was interested in making almond wine ,I had a very good bottle from a winery call THREE SISTERS some were here in central NEW JERSEY,IT WAS DELICATE AND FLAVORFUL,this is what I would like to try and duplicate ,,a perfect almond wine for my taste.:)

will continue later have to go to work:s

Almomnd wine

I'm GETTING READY TO START THE WINE PROCESS,I HAVE A FEW RECIPIES ON HAND BUT NOT SURE WHICH ONE TO USE,IF i MAKE A EXTRACT OF ALMOND AND ADDED IT TO A BASE WINE THAT WOULD WORK,IF I ROASTED THE ALMONDS FIRST AND THEN CRUSHED THEM IN MY PROCESSOR,THAT WOULD BE THE RAW BASE INGREDENT ,HOW MUCH OIL FORM THE ALOMONS CAN I EXPECT ANYONE NO?:slp

WILL START PROCEEDURES TOMMORROW:?

Joe I would not use roasted almonds. I bought raw almonds and then toasted them in the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in one layer on ungreased shallow baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Toasting of nuts intensifies their flavor. Think outside of the box. :)

almond

these are raw nuts:d from sams club I will have to roast them,was there a lot of oil after you crushed them?:tz

I think this is going to be a challenge,any other bumps for me to look out for down the road?:a1

I have a one gallon batch of almond wine that is still sitting in the jug (made it last winter). Smells great! Can't really tell you about the taste though. There was a thin layer of oil at the top when I first started it, but after the first racking, I haven't seen any of it. When I actually taste it, I'll let you all know how it is! I used this recipe:

1 cup whole almonds
2 lemons, juice and rind
1 1/2 pounds light raisins
5 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 campden tablet
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
1 package wine yeast
water
Chop almonds and raisins finely in a food processor. DO NOT over process almonds or you will end up with almond butter. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Simmer for 1 hour, adding water periodically to prevent scorching. Strain out solids and place liquid in primary fermentor.

Add water to make up to 1 gallon and all other ingredients except the yeast. Let sit overnight. Check specific gravity -- it should be between 1.090 and 1.100. Add yeast. Stir daily for five or six days, until frothing stops. This may be slow to start fermenting.

Strain. Siphon into secondary fermentor and attach airlock.

For a dry wine, rack in three weeks, and every three months for one year. Bottle.

For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor. Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year old. Bottle.

these are raw nuts:d from sams club I will have to roast them,was there a lot of oil after you crushed them?:tz

I think this is going to be a challenge,any other bumps for me to look out for down the road?:a1

I hate crushed nuts, damn! I put them in whole after toasting them. No oil residue.

almond wine

CRUSHED NUTS:tz

IS THAT RIGHT NO OIL HOW WAS THE TASTE?:ib

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back