Quantcast

Thinking outside the box

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Rose' have not always been a favorite of mine with time taste buds changed and technique does also here's my twist on Rose' wine for the summer.

Attachments

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Still a ways to go.... there's a lot of steps to making a good wine just as many in making a bad wine, so I say to you Plan your work then work your plan and if your not sure ASK>>>

Attachments

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Basic wine chemistry.....
Basic Wine Chemistry

Chaptalization is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grape developed by the French chemist Jean-Antoine-Claude Chaptal, for whom it was named. Contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wine sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in chaptalized wine cannot be tasted.

Potassium Metabisulfite is a common wine or must additive, where it forms sulfur dioxide gas (SO2). This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as potent antioxidant, protecting both the color, and delicate flavors of wine.

Typical dosage is ¼ tsp potassium metabisulfite, per 6 gallon bucket of must (yielding roughly 75ppm of SO2) prior to fermentation, and ½ tsp per 6 gallon bucket (150 ppm of SO2) at bottling.

Winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with a 1% SO2 (2 tsp potassium metabisulfite per L) solution.

Potassium Sorbate is used to inhibit molds, and yeasts in wine. Also known affectionately as “wine stabilizer”, potassium sorbate produces sorbic acid when added to wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is racked for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. When a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent refermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabisulfite. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines and some hard cider but may be added to table wines which exhibits difficulty in maintaining clarity after fining.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Fixed it for you:

"When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is racked for the final time after clearing, p̶o̶t̶a̶s̶s̶i̶u̶m̶ ̶s̶o̶r̶b̶a̶t̶e̶the few remaining yeast will continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation."

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Thanks, I was corrected before but forgot what I was supposed to correct,old people.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
something for the PORT people..... this one took a best of show in CELLARMASTERS..and HAMMONTON

Attachments

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
coffee port a good taste for anytime of the day..follow the flow the real trick here is the instant coffee...

Attachments

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Pear wine,, summers coming and fruit wine are at their best .I like pears and Walkers makes the best fruit juice bar none. Here we go short but sweet.
PHASE#1....

Attachments

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
MAKING A FPAC>>>>>>fun easy and you can make it now and freeze it for the winters wine making,.

Attachments