Thinking About Sous Vide?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great deal . You will need a water vessel. I also bought an inexpensive food vacuum set up but you can use zip bags. I love cooking with it. Did a two inch bone in rib eye the other night. Gonna try for fish sometime because I always overcook fish.

sansaire.com/2014/04/cook-fish-sous-vide/

That is a great deal . You will need a water vessel. I also bought an inexpensive food vacuum set up but you can use zip bags. I love cooking with it. Did a two inch bone in rib eye the other night. Gonna try for fish sometime because I always overcook fish.

sansaire.com/2014/04/cook-fish-sous-vide/

I have this unit, as well as one of the original Anova's. Both are great and I love cooking w/ them.

I have this unit, as well as one of the original Anova's. Both are great and I love cooking w/ them.
Say you wanted to cook a rib eye steak from frozen (obviously you've previously food saved it). About how long until it reaches medium rare (looking for a ball park figure)?

That is a very good deal, I'm about to speak with the boss and see if I'm allowed to order one (I have lot's of toys already). It's smaller than a pellet stove, but I think experimenting with it would be very entertaining and tasty!

According to Douglas Baldwin, about an hour for a 1" steak, 1:23 for 1.25", and about 2 hours for 1.5".

Edit: Interesting. Those numbers I gave you were from my well-worn copy of his work, printed out about 10 years ago. However, the link I gave you seems to indicate that the numbers are more like 1.25 hours, 1.5 hours, and 2.25 hours, respectively.

Sois vide is definitely the way to go! I’m still trying to find a happy medium for my wife’s steak (well done / shoe leather) and mine (rare) without putting one on ice while the other cooks. Hope you took advantage of BB’s offer!

Sois vide is definitely the way to go! I’m still trying to find a happy medium for my wife’s steak (well done / shoe leather) and mine (rare) without putting one on ice while the other cooks. Hope you took advantage of BB’s offer!

Not sure if you were actually asking for suggestions, but I assume that you sous vide to temperature, then give 'em a high-temp blast to brown. Something like a screaming hot cast-iron pan with butter. If so, you could just cook 'em both at, say, 124F until rare; take hers out, brown it about 2-3 minutes per side in a HOT pan (which should take it from rare to shoe leather, with a nice browning). Meanwhile, take yours out and flash-fry it for 30 seconds per side.

Not sure if you were actually asking for suggestions...
He may not of been, but I appreciate the information. I would figure if I was doing, let's say some ribeye steaks, I'd cook them in the sous vide setup to rare and then sear them on a hot as heck charcoal grill, doing the girls steaks a few minutes longer. Boys get medium rare, girls like medium well to well done.

I love my sous vides. I started with one, but had to get a second. Like cooking my steak and wife’s steak at the same time. I’m a rare to med. rare guy. She’s a med to med to med well kind of girl.

had to edit for spell. Darned auto correct!

Sous Vide Cheesecake! A family fav.

C0FCC368-B4AB-4FE0-8192-B68E16BE4134.jpegE7B6ABA5-1163-46AB-8294-CBAA437DF97B.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess I need to fire mine up soon. Have you tried a roast in one. I like my pressure cooker for roast but Maybe sous vide is as good.

Here's a small (3-4 lbs) chuck roast. Cooked for 44 hours at 131F, then broiled for outside coloration/flavor. Texture was like tenderloin. I like this method, but will share one disadvantage: at these temperatures, the fat does not render, and there was some gristle remaining. The result was very good overall, however.

DSC00696.JPG.jpgDSC00710.JPG.jpgDSC00711.JPG.jpg

Even though they say fat will render at those temps most people with BBQ experience will say no, you need closer to 200F for true rendering. I applaud the effort and the experiment! Looks tasty!

Here's a small (3-4 lbs) chuck roast. Cooked for 44 hours at 131F, then broiled for outside coloration/flavor. Texture was like tenderloin. I like this method, but will share one disadvantage: at these temperatures, the fat does not render, and there was some gristle remaining. The result was very good overall, however.

View attachment 63053View attachment 63054View attachment 63055

Latest posts

Back