RJ Spagnols Thin white ring in bulk ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dantheman

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a few reds in bulk and the other day I noticed my Amarone had a thin white milky ring on the very top (I attached photos)
is this something to be concerned about? I haven’t opened it since being transferred to bulk and has a good seal on the bung
IMG_2571.jpeg

There might have been some sort of substance/residue that was in the carboy or was carried over when you last racked. As long as it doesn't smell/taste funky, I wouldn't worry.

If you're super concerned, pull it out with a syringe, discard and top back up. I would take that opportunity to sample the wine (rack if that's what you had planned to do next month) and probably add a level 1/4 tsp dose of kmeta (assuming this is 6 gals).

Hey I have a few reds in bulk and the other day I noticed my Amarone had a thin white milky ring on the very top (I attached photos)
is this something to be concerned about? I haven’t opened it since being transferred to bulk and has a good seal on the bung
View attachment 101570
On another subject. That carry handle you have on the carboy has been known to snap the neck. I never use them. Too much weight. You are better off using a milk case or building a crate of some sort for your carboys. Others may disagree.

On another subject. That carry handle you have on the carboy has been known to snap the neck. I never use them. Too much weight. You are better off using a milk case or building a crate of some sort for your carboys. Others may disagree.
I have some, but never use them to lift a full carboy. I think it is certainly worth noting. Others here have referred to them as the devil! 😄

Back