THIN Vinters Best

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelwalker1

Junior
Reaction score
Has anybody tried stretching the Vinters best puree? The recipe calls for 4 gal of water added to the 1 gal of puree. I have just made a batch of Cherry using 10 lbs sugar, 1/2 gal puree, and rest water to fill 5 gals. I did two of these from the 1 gal of puree. I do not know how much flavor I will end up with but the alcohol should be about 16%. I have read about other people going the other way and only making 3 gal out of the puree but I am trying to make 10 gal out of the puree!!!

Has anybody tried stretching the Vinters best puree? The recipe calls for 4 gal of water added to the 1 gal of puree. I have just made a batch of Cherry using 10 lbs sugar, 1/2 gal puree, and rest water to fill 5 gals. I did two of these from the 1 gal of puree. I do not know how much flavor I will end up with but the alcohol should be about 16%. I have read about other people going the other way and only making 3 gal out of the puree but I am trying to make 10 gal out of the puree!!!

Many folks make them to a lower volume to increase the body and flavor, which sounds to be quite lacking at 5 gallons. I'd hazard to say, that diluting to 10 gallons and boosting the ABV to 16%, will yield an unbalanced wine with very thin taste/body and too high alcohol, rocket fuel.

I have made one or two batches using the fruit juice and IMO , trying to make a 5 gallon batch out of what should be 3 gallons is a mistake if you enjoy making wine that has any flavor. If all you are looking for is the buzz, then no problem but if you are looking for a wine than you can enjoy, can share and can be proud of then diluting the fruit with enough water to make this more like a homeopathic tincture may not be the best approach... But to each their own..

I am cheap so I did this to save some money. I also have not made any wine for the past 10 years so my carboys have not been used for a while this is getting them back into use. So any contaminants that may present will go into this cheaper batch. Then I will make some wine with taste to it and not just alcohol.

Latest posts

Back