Thin Sangiovese

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have about 160 gals of Sangiovese that came out a bit thin. The original brix was 23, and I chaptalized it up to about 23.75 brix
the pH. was 3.65. We pressed it, and the nose was great, but the color and taste were thin.
I considered blending in some Zin or Merlot after it sits for a while. I really want to keep it 100% Sang.
I also was considering blending in some Brunello Clone kit wine to boost up the color and flavor.

I was thinking of putting the kit wine in straight, not diluting it with water.

Of course, I will do bench trials or do a carboy of it. There is no rush as I barrel age the Sang for 2 years.

Has anyone tried this before?

Was the Sangiovese from grapes or a kit? It could benefit from aging on the lees for a few weeks to help build body and mouthfeel.

My 2021 Sangiovese suffered the same fate last year. My finished volume was only about 65 gallons. I barrel aged for 11 months, using the balance to top up throughout the year. I bottled 90 bottles 100% and used the rest in various blends.

The bottles I kept 100% are very tasty but thin visually and don't provide much mouthfeel. The Sangiovese added to the three blends added a nice touch.

I would pull the kit wine idea completely out of the room.

I sometimes use raisins im my fruit wines to add body, but usually co-ferment. It works, but have not tried to add raisin wine post fermentation. I also do much smaller volumes than you. Barbara would be an excellent blending option if you could get some. Merlot could also work, but could easily dominate the sangiovese so would start with a smaller ratio at under 5%

Back