Thermovinification

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newine

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking a home wine maker working with hybrids could try a small batch of crushed and destemed grapes in a large stainless steel pot heated to 140 degrees for a few minutes then pressed and possibly experience some of the added fruit and reduced green bell pepper flavors we fight. For me I may try it next year, blend it back with other wines treated more normally. Anyone ever try this poor man's approach? Been reading a lot about the affects this has lately and am curious. If I ruined 5 gallons would not be the end of the world for me. Thinking of trying on Foch or Frontenac. Thoughts?

I've done both foch and Frontenac on skins. If you are looking to minimize the vegetal flavors, you can add some granulated oak to the fermentation and press after only 1 or 2 days. This makes a nice dry wine with a little tannin.

Or just press after a couple hours following crush to emphasize the fruit. That is more than enough time to extract color! Both make very good wines

Latest posts

Back