Theory: rabbits contributing to crown gall?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36973

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
So I know I have the vermin in the vineyard. One area of my chambourcin is much more severely impacted by crown gall than another. At first I'd attributed that to soil and vigor differences but I'm now thinking that rabbits are playing a starring role.

Not that it takes much for Chambourcin to be afflicted with crown gall, but if there are rabbits nibbling at the bark around the base of the vine, it would seem that is the perfect opportunity for the disease to get entry to the trunk. Although it would be a PITA, I could fashion a wire tube around the bottom 18in of the trunk and install them around all the vines.

Anyone else attributing rabbits to crown gall issues?

I can't answer your question, but if you were near by, I would have been happy to sit around with a BB gun.

Buy some cheap rabbit fencing and circle the plants with a cage...or better yet surround the whole vineyard with rabbit fence...

Yeah, I figure I'll use some 1/2" mesh fencing to make some 18" high cylinders I'll place around the vines. It isn't practical for me to fence in the vineyard against rabbits.

Interesting theory. I have more rabbit activity in the outer areas on my vineyard. I have a dog that makes regular transits around the fenced in area (2+ acres), but the rabbits are brave enough to risk the outer areas as they know the dog can't get through the fence for they can. I'll have to map the area and plot the vines affected. I'll be back later in the season with mo thoughts.

I've noticed that many of my young vines trained from suckers last season have been neatly cut about 5 inches from the ground over the winter. I'll also be putting those in wire cages this fall.

Latest posts

Back