Them some smelly flowers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch404

Reaction score
Or How not make rose wine

I was driving into town the other day and noticed a bunch of small wild roses were in full bloom. I swung back later with a paper bag in hand ready to pick. I don't know why I thought flip-flops and shorts were a good idea as the roses were intermixed with black berry brambles, but I was there and ready.

When I got out of the car I was assaulted by the smell of cow manure. The flowers were right by a large cow pasture and it had a large stank to go with it. The flowers were well back from the fence so I was not worried. I found a low running patch that did not scratch up my legs too bad and only picked the pinkest freshest flowers.

At some point the cow stank got blocked out of my mind till I had a full paper bag and rushed back to my car to escape it. At home I started plucking the petals from the green bits. As I'm going I keep smelling that stank. It almost seemed to get worse. I convince my self that my clothes must smell from being there. Then it seemed to be on my hands and stronger. No it must all be in my mind and it's just my clothes, beside I'm almost 3/4ths the way through this bag.

My 3 yr old wanders in and wants to help/play with the flowers. At some points she grabs a hand full of petals and takes a big wiff.
"What do they smell like?" I ask
"Nothing." she says.
They were wild roses, not very fragrant, and she takes another big wiff. Then she looks at me and says, "they smell like POO!"
At which point I take the flowers to the compost and wash the stank that HAD been building up on my hands off.
Makes me wonder about all the blackberries I see people picking there...YIKES

Or How not make rose wine

I was driving into town the other day and noticed a bunch of small wild roses were in full bloom. I swung back later with a paper bag in hand ready to pick. I don't know why I thought flip-flops and shorts were a good idea as the roses were intermixed with black berry brambles, but I was there and ready.

When I got out of the car I was assaulted by the smell of cow manure. The flowers were right by a large cow pasture and it had a large stank to go with it. The flowers were well back from the fence so I was not worried. I found a low running patch that did not scratch up my legs too bad and only picked the pinkest freshest flowers.

At some point the cow stank got blocked out of my mind till I had a full paper bag and rushed back to my car to escape it. At home I started plucking the petals from the green bits. As I'm going I keep smelling that stank. It almost seemed to get worse. I convince my self that my clothes must smell from being there. Then it seemed to be on my hands and stronger. No it must all be in my mind and it's just my clothes, beside I'm almost 3/4ths the way through this bag.

My 3 yr old wanders in and wants to help/play with the flowers. At some points she grabs a hand full of petals and takes a big wiff.
"What do they smell like?" I ask
"Nothing." she says.
They were wild roses, not very fragrant, and she takes another big wiff. Then she looks at me and says, "they smell like POO!"
At which point I take the flowers to the compost and wash the stank that HAD been building up on my hands off.
Makes me wonder about all the blackberries I see people picking there...YIKES

As they say around here, "Smells like money!"

Latest posts

Back