The Strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeping that color is impressive, more often than not most attempts seem to end up some degree of Orange color. Bet it tastes wonderful. It's also supposed to have a fairly short life span, enjoy it often this summer and maybe some next year.
Mike

OH, by the way, the BR Wine Makers group place third in over all medals in this year's Winemaker Magazine homemade wine competition. We won 17 medals total. We are feeling pretty full on ourselves right now but we are getting down to our summer projects and that has a way of bringing us back to earth. Feel free to join us anytime. track our facebook page, Baton Rouge Wine Makers

I'm a member of the page and see all of the posts. If you guys are interested in making wine from grapes this year, I'm bringing some in from California and own a crusher / destemmer...................

Keeping that color is impressive, more often than not most attempts seem to end up some degree of Orange color. Bet it tastes wonderful. It's also supposed to have a fairly short life span, enjoy it often this summer and maybe some next year.
Mike

Mike, it looks very red in the carboy, in a glass or running through the racking tube, you can see the twinge of orange color, I think it's just part of the gig..........

Deanna Carter singing Strawberry Wine & a chilled glass?:h
I love strawberries but never tried a wine from them. I will say that they don't like being frozen for long! We pick then clean and dry on a waxed paper covered cookie sheet, dust/sprinkle very lightly w/sugar, then freeze hard and bag em. Even then they dry easily in freezer storage so if you have a bunch, eat or make wine soon enough!

I ran the strawberry wine through the Buon Vino with the sterile pads about a week ago, and sweetened it, no sorbate. Today, seeing no activity at all, I went ahead and bottled it. My first filter in lieu of sorbate on sweet wine. It really came out fantastic, should get it capsuled and labeled later today. Hope they don’t explode. Think I’ll leave them standing upright on the countertop / sink for a bit.....

7352399F-8C20-4A87-A493-387C2030C663.jpeg

Last edited:
I have never back sweetened. The few times I made a wine on the sweet side I stop the fermentation by putting it in a chest freezer then filter it with a .5 micron once it cleared. I know it's not absolute but I haven't had any issues either.

Im confident in the science behind it, but doing it a few times boosts confidence in the science. I’d hate to muff a batch that way........

Keep them away from each other and your other wine for a few weeks.
(Growing my dad made some homemade Root Beer - clearly the yeast remained active or something went wrong. A week or two later while eating supper we heard a couple of muffled explosions. Dad walked out to the garage, came back a few minutes later with disappointment written all over his face. The explosion(s?) resulted in sympathetic detonation/distraction of ALL bottles.

John, in another thread you mentioned even after filtering with a .5 filter pad you had some sediment after bottling. If I'm reading this thread correctly it appears you bottled 1 1/2 months after you started the fermentation. I have a peach I want to filter with the .5 pads that I started in July sometime. Is it possible the sediment was a result of bottling too early, I can't imagine I will have the same problem after 6 months or will I?

John, in another thread you mentioned even after filtering with a .5 filter pad you had some sediment after bottling. If I'm reading this thread correctly it appears you bottled 1 1/2 months after you started the fermentation. I have a peach I want to filter with the .5 pads that I started in July sometime. Is it possible the sediment was a result of bottling too early, I can't imagine I will have the same problem after 6 months or will I?

Fred, can't tell you definitively if 6 months will do the trick, but I know for the strawberry, I didn't wait long enough. I'd think that waiting a total of 6 months, and at least a couple of those months after filtering / back sweetening would put your wine in better shape than my wine. It was just beautiful at bottling time, and the wine had been sitting in the carboy in the wine room to clear since fermentation ceased. Not 30 days after bottling, a light dusting appeared on the bottom of the bottles......all of them. I can only assume that there were still some ongoing chemical changes that caused that light dusting to come out of solution. Could be that I should've waited a little longer after back sweetening to bottle. Lesson learned...........again!!

Fred, can't tell you definitively if 6 months will do the trick, but I know for the strawberry, I didn't wait long enough. I'd think that waiting a total of 6 months, and at least a couple of those months after filtering / back sweetening would put your wine in better shape than my wine. It was just beautiful at bottling time, and the wine had been sitting in the carboy in the wine room to clear since fermentation ceased. Not 30 days after bottling, a light dusting appeared on the bottom of the bottles......all of them. I can only assume that there were still some ongoing chemical changes that caused that light dusting to come out of solution. Could be that I should've waited a little longer after back sweetening to bottle. Lesson learned...........again!!

Thanks, I don't think those "agains!!" ever stop, we just hope they slow down a little.

I agree there, you start to focus on a particular area or concept, then completely forget about the hundreds of other details you already know, sooner or later you get bitten.

Latest posts

Back