The Lenten challange... Who is with me?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yup, It's that time of year again.

Lent begins next Wednesday, 2/14/2018.

For those of you that might not be aware, each year I give up all forms of alcohol for lent. I go 40 consecutive days totally dry. Since lent is 46 days, I break my "fast" 6 days prior to Easter.

I do this for several reasons, the least of which is religious (although I have to admit that it does come into play).

My mother was a raging alcoholic. When I was 19, she had to be hospitalized because she ran out of booze and slipped into an (almost) lethal case of the DTs. Let me tell you, watching her seizures and hallucinations was the most traumatic moment of my life. She was immediately placed into a 90 day rehab and had to help my father deal with all of it. The good news is that mom has not had a drink in almost 40 years.

Unfortunately, my younger brother has succumbed. This year, it got so bad that my older brother and I busted into his house and removed all forms of alcohol. It is a hard struggle for him and, happily, he seems to be dealing with it.

I am aware that alcoholism is genetic. I am also aware that I have a wine collection that would, at this point, never run dry. When I think about it, I get concerned.

To this end, I live through the year limiting my drinking to the weekends. "Not on a school night" is the motto. To back this up, I also give it up completely for 40 days during Lent. Giving it up for 40 days, and gauging how difficult that is, lets me breathe easier.

Each year I reach out to you folks to see who will join me. If you ever think that you might overindulge a bit too much, here is your chance to make up for it.

So I ask... Who's with me this year?????

This is quite admirable, I have somewhat similar genetic history in my family, and I too recognize that I could easily slide into that abyss. I take the same approach and don't drink during the week "Not on a work night". Also need to stay away from things like single malt scotch and will only buy one bottle around the holidays.

I will consider the 40 day lent thing, but being a fallin' catholic that is now agnostic leaning towards Buddhism I'll have to reference something other than lent. I think I have a social event or two during that 40 day period, it will be tough but will consider.

This is quite admirable, I have somewhat similar genetic history in my family, and I too recognize that I could easily slide into that abyss. I take the same approach and don't drink during the week "Not on a work night". Also need to stay away from things like single malt scotch and will only buy one bottle around the holidays.

I will consider the 40 day lent thing, but being a fallin' catholic that is now agnostic leaning towards Buddhism I'll have to reference something other than lent. I think I have a social event or two during that 40 day period, it will be tough but will consider.

It could simply be your 40 day period of cleansing..

I usually have 1 or 2 'events' each year where I'll give myself a day off. I also will probably do racking and/or bottling at least once and for those, will have a small sip to test. For me, it isn't so much about being 100% dry as it is simply taking a significant break.

I will admit that having a cellar with a near ridiculous amount of wine in it does tend to encourage more consumption than is probably good for the body and soul. I can't say that I abide by the "not on a work night" mantra, but we do try to impose reasonable limitations. Definitely agree with pgentile that the single malts and the limoncellos at the end of the night are something to be avoided. I don't know that my parents were alcoholics, but they certainly drank their fair share. I do try to take a week or two off a couple times a year just to prove I can do it without great effort. However, I don't think I'm up to the herculean challenge of 40 days of abstinence while trying to survive the last half of a cold, snowy Central NY winter.

I did this one year, and the first couple weeks were very hard. I got accustomed to coming home from a long day of work and just grabbing a glass of wine or beer. Never more than two, but it just kind of becomes habit. After the second week, it got a lot easier and by the end of Lent, I was feeling great. Can't tell you if it was from abstaining from alcohol, the rush of doing something that big, or a mix of both :)

Either way, it was a fun challenging experience, and best of luck to you! May a big glass of wine be waiting for you at the end.

Cheers!
Bryan

OK, so we have @Boatboy24 and @pgentile ...

Why not join us @Homebrewit.com

how about it @tigaul ?

Keep in mind, that I work this with no strict rules. If you want to schedule a "cheat day", there is nothing wrong with that (especially since St Patrick's day falls within lent).

In short, make your own rules!! No one will judge! It may turn out that it is easier than you think!

OK, so we have @Boatboy24 and @pgentile ...

Why not join us @Homebrewit.com

how about it @tigaul ?

Keep in mind, that I work this with no strict rules. If you want to schedule a "cheat day", there is nothing wrong with that (especially since St Patrick's day falls within lent).

In short, make your own rules!! No one will judge! It may turn out that it is easier than you think!

I'll try! Being a homebrew shop owner it's kind of hard because I'm always tasting. Yesterday we had to sample 8 wines that were in secondary (tough job I know). I'm already abstaining from full glasses during the week so I might as well just add on Saturday and Sunday. Let's do it.

Cheers (or maybe not)!

I should be on the permanent Lenten challenge, to tell you the truth. I have cut back considerably this year. That's why you are not seeing posts of me making 20 gallons at a time every couple months anymore. My foray into European wines has been so enlightening, though, that I can't give it up completely. I should. For good. But.... naaaah, not yet...

I may take you up on it. I've been imbibing a couple of glasses most evenings, and I need to cut back...primarily as a spiritual discipline, but also because I've noticed some pounds creeping on over the past few months. (Though I, too, will be sneaking a small taste when transferring a batch from secondary to bulk aging, or at the clarifying/bottling stage, just to verify that the batch is headed in the right direction).

My intrest in wine making stems from intrests of other hobbies too numerous to mention here but my bees lead this list.
Being raised Catholic I really dont drink enough to concider this much of a sacrifice, how ever being from oregon and it now being leagal, I do have a substance that I have been refraining from for other reasons. So in the spirit of this ritual.
I'm in, for both, except as mentioned spoonfull tasting of on going batches.

Last edited:
Good Luck and my support to all you lentarians. I've always thought doing anything that makes you feel better about yourself is a good thing. I however, will stand sheepishly on the sideline, with drink in hand (non school nights) and toast you all as the 40 days count down. On a more serious note regarding drinking too much, it seems to me that those of us with enormous amounts of alcohol on hand are a bit like people who move to cities like Las Vegas and find the amount of gambling they do dwindles. I certainly drink more than the definition of what "a modest amount" is but the amount has declined steadily over the last 25 or 30 years and I assume it will continue to do so.
The best to all!

I however, will stand sheepishly on the sideline, with drink in hand (non school nights) and toast you all as the 40 days count down.
I'll fill in the school nights so that we have all the bases covered.

Seriously, I'd love to participate again this year, but I have way too many "cheat nights" planned already (I know, nice cop-out). I found last year that a cheat night for me was like starting all over again, pretty painful to get back on track. The Welsh part of my heritage seems to get the best of me at times. I did loose quite a bit of weight last year, but started a few weeks ago to loose any excess I picked up over the holidays.

Blessings to those who give up something for Lent, I'll seriously pray every day that you are successful in your attempt.

Ok folks, drink up. Lent begins at midnight!!!

Well, like you John, my schedule is somewhat modified. You'll finish a bit before me, but I start after this weekend and finish on Good Friday. Still getting my 40 days in (or maybe 39).

Last edited:
In keeping with "not on a school night", my lent began on Monday. This means that (for me) lent ends on March 23 and today marks day 4!!!!

images

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-15_7-38-11.jpeg
    upload_2018-2-15_7-38-11.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 18
Back