The "Leaky Cauldron" - Cellar Craft Showcase Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The degassing tool came in yesterday and I had some time this evening, so I proceeded. Was a little surprised, the SG was down to .995.

I've seen a number of people who skip the sorbate, but I decided to used the sulfite/sorbate packet that came with the kit. I don't want to deviate too far from the instructions. I put that in, then gave the degassing wand a quick little test, to judge how much gas would be released. Very little. I proceeded to degas, going one way until the wine would just start to vortex, then switching the other way. Again, very little gas. Since very little degassing was happening, I only did it for about two minutes.

I then stirred in the Kieselsol, put the airlock back on, and recovered with a paper bag. Tomorrow I will add the packet of Chitosan, and the 2nd packet of Kieselsol an hour later. Then let it sit for ~40 days.

After 40 days, I'll rack, sulfite, and let it bulk age for a while. I'm thinking at least 3 months, maybe up to a year. It'll depend on if I get another carboy for my birthday. Then I'll let it bottle age for 6-12 more months. That's my plan at least.

What do you all do for bulk aging? I've different things stated on the web but would like to know what you all do. How often do you rack and/or sulfite?

Many of us, who have been making wine for a few years say that this hobby is thre best hobby, if you are a procrastinator. There is a whole bunch of truth to that.
Umm, guilty, but I'm going to say I just needed to test a theory, rather than say I'm impatient. I bought one package of Sparkaloid back when I did my very first batch of Dragon Blood because that's what the recipe said, and still have some left over. So I added 1 teaspoon to the carboy (after boiling 10 min, etc.), gave it a gentle stir for a couple of minutes, and BAM, 1 day later it was crystal clear again. The package says 3 Tablespoons is the dose for 6 gallons. I'm guessing since there was almost nothing left to drop out that a single tsp did the trick.

I then stirred in the Kieselsol, put the airlock back on, and recovered with a paper bag. Tomorrow I will add the packet of Chitosan, and the 2nd packet of Kieselsol an hour later. Then let it sit for ~40 days.
Are those the directions in the kit? I've never seen it done that way before. Always Kieselsol first, Chitosan second. No second dose of Kieselsol. That is very interesting. The time to wait between the K & C I've seen range from "a few minutes" to 48 hours, but never saw a second dose of K. Maybe something to do with how much sediment there is?

Are those the directions in the kit? I've never seen it done that way before. Always Kieselsol first, Chitosan second. No second dose of Kieselsol. That is very interesting. The time to wait between the K & C I've seen range from "a few minutes" to 48 hours, but never saw a second dose of K. Maybe something to do with how much sediment there is?

Kits that come with two packages of Kieselsol have you add one, wait, add Chitosan, wait them add second dose of Kieselsol.

I’ve done 2-3 dozen kit wines.... this has got to be one of the top 3... if not #1. Make sure you save some and age a bottle one year 2 yrs and 3 years... it’s tough as your first kit but I promise you it will be worth it!

Latest posts

Back