The "Leaky Cauldron" - Cellar Craft Showcase Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me (unless maybe I had an extra fridge), I wouldn't worry about knowing the exact starting SG, and I would follow the directions until I had a few more gallons under my belt (literally :) ) before I started tweaking a kit too much. If it doesn't turn out, you can blame the manufacturer, maybe even get some compensation. If you tweak it and it doesn't turn out, you only have yourself to blame. If you want to experiment, try making some Dragon Blood (there's a LONG thread here about it)! I learned more about wine-making with 2 batches of that than I did in 7 years of making kits. It's a cheap way to learn more about the why & how & when of this wonderful hobby.

Total novice myself done 6 kits over two years and learnt more making two 1 gallon fruit wines last autumn , low risk small outlay and free fruit and easier handling a demijohn than fermenter bucket , with a £50 kit the wife’s always ready with a “well that’s a waste of money “

Total novice myself done 6 kits over two years and learnt more making two 1 gallon fruit wines last autumn , low risk small outlay and free fruit and easier handling a demijohn than fermenter bucket , with a £50 kit the wife’s always ready with a “well that’s a waste of money “
Hi Will,
I am guessing that you are somewhere in Great Britain from your reference to Pounds Sterling. As is has been said, we are "two nations separated by a common language" and many on this forum would be confused by your statement, "easier handling a demijohn than a fermentation bucket." Over here in "the Colonies," demijohn usually refers to 54 liter glass wine containers, which are very difficult to handle. I am sure you meant a container that is similar to our 1 gallon jug.

We do have one thing in common. Our brides are quick to remind us of our follies.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Will,
I am guessing that you are somewhere in Great Britain from your reference to Pounds Sterling. As is has been said, we are "two nations separated by a common language" and many on this forum would be confused by your statement, "easier handling a demijohn than a fermentation bucket." Over here in "the Colonies," demijohn usually refers to 54 liter glass wine containers, which are very difficult to handle. I am sure you meant a container that is similar to our 1 gallon jug.

We do have one thing in common. Our brides are quick to remind us of our follies.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks Rocky, spot on although weirdly our gallons are larger than US version eg our 23 litre kit is 5 gallon and US is 6 gallon, don’t fancy manhandling 54 litre Demi-Johns, although if it’s full of red wine I think there’d be no shortage of help in the US or GB . Thanks for the welcome to forum it’s great to have a wine based forum ours in GB are beer dominated so posts rarely get answered.

Thanks Rocky, spot on although weirdly our gallons are larger than US version eg our 23 litre kit is 5 gallon and US is 6 gallon, don’t fancy manhandling 54 litre Demi-Johns, although if it’s full of red wine I think there’d be no shortage of help in the US or GB . Thanks for the welcome to forum it’s great to have a wine based forum ours in GB are beer dominated so posts rarely get answered.
WillShill, my experience on this forum is that posts routinely get responses. Welcome!.......................Dizzy

Just a small update. Attached is a pic from this morning. SG was 1.079. I didn't take an SG this evening, but here is a short vid (listen with the sound on) of the sounds of winemaking. 😁

Attachments

• Cap07022020.jpg
    Cap07022020.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
One week in and the fermentation has started to slow, but still active. I've been punching down the grape skill bag and giving the must a good stir twice daily.

One week in and the fermentation has started to slow, but still active. I've been punching down the grape skill bag and giving the must a good stir twice daily.

Just a suggestion, but when I punch down the bag of skins, I first wash and sanitize my hands and then give the bag a good squeeze to extract more flavor. I do this once or twice a day during primary. When I squeeze the bag well enough, it does not float for a while and sinks to the bottom of the fermenter.

Just a suggestion, but when I punch down the bag of skins, I first wash and sanitize my hands and then give the bag a good squeeze to extract more flavor. I do this once or twice a day during primary. When I squeeze the bag well enough, it does not float for a while and sinks to the bottom of the fermenter.

I gave this a try yesterday morning and again today. Each time, there was an odd smell on my hands after giving a good squeeze. Hard to describe... The must smells normal, just the grape bag smells a little different than what I've smelled before. Again, I've not used a grape pack before, so not sure if it is normal or not.

I gave this a try yesterday morning and again today. Each time, there was an odd smell on my hands after giving a good squeeze. Hard to describe... The must smells normal, just the grape bag smells a little different than what I've smelled before. Again, I've not used a grape pack before, so not sure if it is normal or not.
I think my skin is a little sensitive to sterilizing solution, so I use rubber gloves. Much easier to sterilize, and just rinse off after. I can't comment on the smell though. I've never noticed anything from berries I squeeze making Dragon Blood. Maybe it's just more concentrated?

This evening I racked the wine into secondary. SG is at .997 and has been for the last 3 days. I ordered a new degassing wand that will be here on Wed. So I'm planning on degassing and adding clearing agents later next week.

I will say I am amazed at how much sediment was at the bottom of the primary! I don't think I had any kits in the past having that much. But it has been a long time since then. Unfortunately, I think I picked up more than I would like, hopefully it will be alright...

I did take a taste test and it is going to need time to age for sure! I already knew this, but it is very rough. It tasted a bit of green wood (best way I can describe it) and very yeasted (which I expected the yeasty taste). Only time will tell I guess...

Again, I wasn't expecting to jump into a premium kit and I'm not sure what all to expect. But wanted to get this started since it had leaked and I didn't want it to go bad sitting waiting to be made.

I'll take any words of wisdom or encouragement!

Attachments

• resized-IMG_20200711_223042.jpg
    resized-IMG_20200711_223042.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 14
And no need to worry about picking up sediment racking out if primary. It fell out once, it will fall out again.
Interesting you say that. That's what I thought too. I have Dragon Blood that was crystal clear 2 days after DualFine. When racking onto sugar for backsweetening, I dropped the racking cane, and poof, the bottom wasn't so crystal clear any more. I figured "It fell out once, it will fall out again," and racked the entire contents onto the sugar. It's 3 days later and hasn't cleared very much at all. I know it eventually will, but I was hoping it would be as quick as the first time. I'm having trouble following my own advice to be patient. 😢

Latest posts

Back