The " How much do you pay for?" thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
I'm just interested in the difference in prices globally. If anyone else has questions.. fire away... it'll be interesting to see the differences..

Question..

How much is turkey a kilo, ( kilo equals 2.2 pounds ), in the supermarket/butcher in the US? and how much does it cost in UK?

I bought boned out thighs, (fresh), yesterday for $10NZD a kilo, roughly just under $5NZD a pound.

In NZ, turkey is something you only eat at Xmas, ( and generally if you come from a british background). Turkey is usually only found in the frozen aisle of the supermarket. Xmas is summer for us.. so slaving over a hot oven/stove isn't what you want to be doing in december. I know it's a more everyday type of meat in the US. Is it an everyday meat in the UK?

Allie

Frozen Turkeys can be as low as .69 a pound (us)
I get frozen Turkey breasts for .99 a pound (us)

Turkey,,, hummmm, I dont think we have bought a turkey in some time, we just make a phone call around T-giving and X-mas and the neighbor drops off a freshly cleaned turkey. Any fresher and it might still be kicking,,,, LOL

How about honey
Some local honey supplies go for $5-9 per pound, and $7-12 per 2 pound jar. We sell ours for $8 on a 1lb jar and $11 on a 2lb jar. If you get a gallon it can run as much as $45and we sell ours for $35.
So what about NZ, UK, and other parts of the US?

depends on the honey.

clover blends cost about $6 NZD for a kilo,(1000grams/2.2lb).

single flower honeys ( non organic) are more expensive, a kilo will cost you about $9-10 NZD

pure honeys (organic- single flower and blends) are really expensive, a kilo, will cost you between $40-$54 NZD.

Allie

OK I gota know how they decide if it is organic honey. Do they put tracking devises on the bees? Make sure they only get necture from organic flowers? No one here is even trying to call honey organic. I paid $45 for a 5 gallon bucket of clover honey last tiome I bought it

The only way one can prove and legally (in the places where it has the laws) is through testing the honey. To be pure I beleive it has to be 85% of one type, and I am not sure about organic I really have never heard of organic honey. I would tend to think that all honey is organic since there is no chemicals used to make honey.

$45 for 5 gallons, that is wholesale price. A 5 gallon bucket of honey weights 60lbs, and that is less than $1 per pound, actually that is better than wholesale. We sell a 55 gallon drum wholesale for $660. That is exactly $1 per pound.

We have the following honey that we sell for the same price even though it is probably more than 85% pure,
Blueberry
Sage
Sourwood
Cotton
Tulip Poplur
Tuplo Gum
I think there is more I just can't remember them all.

OK I gota know how they decide if it is organic honey. Do they put tracking devises on the bees? Make sure they only get necture from organic flowers? No one here is even trying to call honey organic. I paid $45 for a 5 gallon bucket of clover honey last tiome I bought it

organic in NZ is quantifiable..and it is a 'standard' in NZ

Roughly..and these requirements are constantly changing.

you don't get the right to use an 'organic' label on your product until you have been producing that product for 5 years with random checks over a 5 year period. It takes 5 years to be awarded that right.

it can be ruined by an incautious neighbour using weed killers on their driveway in a heartbeat, it can be ruined by buying a property that had been farmed using DDT in the 1960's. Basically you are regularly soil tested and banned from using chemicals and within certain water courses that had been polluted by DDT. You can lose a lot of fruit grown organically to disease, both insects/pollinators and plants, pests/insects eating your crop etc.

getting 'organic' added to your profile is a big deal in NZ.

If our product goes overseas with the 'organic' tag... it means it's had no added (discernable)chemicals on that piece of land in 5 years or more. We have so much crap red tape in this country, due to being PC ( politically correct).. If anyone gets the 'organic' go ahead. They look after it, like a new baby in the family

and I am not joking.

Allie

Allie what is the exchange ratio for $ AmD to$ NZD ? and after thanks giving there is a huge sale on turkey meat. I do a lot of volunteer work in my county in the U.S.A. And manage to get 2 to 3 turkeys and one or two hams given to me in appreciation Since I am a single man this lasts me a long time. the First of June and I still have a 25 pound ham and a 20 pound turkey to process thank goodness for my freezer. I do believe we pay less in the U.S.A for food I have a 300 acre farm and grow alot of stuff also I have 200 tons of wheat stored. Does any one malt there own Grain? I need to learn how.

lloyd?

AmD?

is that USD?

NZD is in a very high currency position at present..compared to our usual .62 percent -ish average against the USD.. we are currently getting .69cents USD to $1 NZD

Allie

We can usually once a year buy turkey breasts (Honeysuckle brand) for @$7.00 each. We'll stock up and cook them throught the winter to heat the house. Over a year ago Scott Toilet paper stopped putting in the grocery store the 16 or 18 pack of toilet paper. It was @ $12.00 Today I bought (at the cheaper grocery store) a 20 pack for $20.00

Everything today is "New and Improved". I liked the old and original. I'm starting to sound like my parents. Do you know what it costs to take a shower! You use every utility when you do. Gas, sewage, water, electric for the lights. :mny

I don't understand when you shower for 30 minutes then run the sink for another 15, what did you not wash while in the shower. I tell them, Get In! Get Wet! Soap Up! Rinse Off! and Get Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is 3 or 4 minutes plus 5 to shave and do my hair.................what's left.:(

[QUOTE

I don't understand when you shower for 30 minutes then run the sink for another 15, what did you not wash while in the shower. I tell them, Get In! Get Wet! Soap Up! Rinse Off! and Get Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is 3 or 4 minutes plus 5 to shave and do my hair.................what's left.:([/QUOTE]

it's because... you are watching yourself. I know this is the "how much do you pay for?" thread.

Steve..

I'd rather not know what you pay.. to watch yourself..

Allie

;)

The kids wanted me to put a stereo in the bathroom. They'd never come out. Sometimes years ago after awhile I'd slowly turn the hot water valve off downstairs or I'd ring the doorbell. Say a few words then tell them in the bathroom they are shutting off the water soon. Hurry up.

That only works a few times.

We can usually once a year buy turkey breasts (Honeysuckle brand) for @$7.00 each. We'll stock up and cook them throught the winter to heat the house. Over a year ago Scott Toilet paper stopped putting in the grocery store the 16 or 18 pack of toilet paper. It was @ $12.00 Today I bought (at the cheaper grocery store) a 20 pack for $20.00

Everything today is "New and Improved". I liked the old and original. I'm starting to sound like my parents. Do you know what it costs to take a shower! You use every utility when you do. Gas, sewage, water, electric for the lights. :mny

I don't understand when you shower for 30 minutes then run the sink for another 15, what did you not wash while in the shower. I tell them, Get In! Get Wet! Soap Up! Rinse Off! and Get Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I need is 3 or 4 minutes plus 5 to shave and do my hair.................what's left.:(

oh good grief ..

I just reread this.. Steve you didn't mean turkey was cheaper to burn than firewood? or that you would burn toilet paper instead? I thought you were being funny..

Nz'ers have a very wry sense of humour.

hehehe

Allie

I have a great sense of humor and find humor in many things. Some things that I probably shouldn't. I laugh often and sometimes very loud. Occasionally I stay up late night and be laughing at something on TV so loud my wife yells it's not that funny!

It is if it ain't you!

I have a great sense of humor and find humor in many things. Some things that I probably shouldn't. I laugh often and sometimes very loud. Occasionally I stay up late night and be laughing at something on TV so loud my wife yells it's not that funny!

It is if it ain't you!

Agreed...

except my teens are very wary...

if they think I am laughing..and I'm not...

it sucks to be them....

Allie

The kids wanted me to put a stereo in the bathroom. They'd never come out. Sometimes years ago after awhile I'd slowly turn the hot water valve off downstairs or I'd ring the doorbell. Say a few words then tell them in the bathroom they are shutting off the water soon. Hurry up.

That only works a few times.
I installed a hot water shut off in kitchen just for that reason. Damn the kids hate cold showers

need to get back on topic people ...

grins

a shoulder roast of pork is $4 NZD a kilo this week.

so... is $2 USD a lb for pork roast, a good buy or not?

Allie

Most of our meat and produce varies around here with when and where.
Turkeys around Thanksgivings and Christmas can get really cheap.
This thanksgiving, we bought two, the limit at the local Walmart per person.
I think those monsters were 20+ pounds and only cost about $9.00. At that price we could not pass up buying one for the freezer.
Pork and Beef varies widely. Sometimes the markets will have sales on something they picked up a big load of.
We personally like to shop at a SweetBay near by. That's what used to be our Kash-n-Karry markets.
If you hit them on a regular basis, you'll find the meats they "Have to move" because it's getting close to the sell by date.
They mark this down very much. So we buy a good bit and rewrap it for the freezer.
You can't believe what you can get steaks for when you find them marked down.
What really kills me is the vegatables. I live in one of the largest vegatable producing states and it rips my heart out to walk in and see tomatoes at $4.00 per pound when I've seen millions of pounds go to waste.
When I worked on the farm years back I managed 400 to 500 acres of just tomatoes.
There have been days I've had crews pick 3/4 of a million pounds in one day.

Latest posts

Back