The grapes next door

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have weighed two samples of the 1 gallon zip-lock bags of raw grapes. Average weight is 3.7 lbs. And I have 22 or perhaps 23 of these. That may be as much as Eighty Pounds of grapes. Which, if I recall correctly, is nearly Twice as much as a WinExpert Kit of prepared Juice.

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to make two batches. So ... what if I don't add any water? Just the sugar for fermentation?
Which would be ... a LOT.

edit: Well ... let me see how much Juice actually gets mashed/squeezed out, measured in gallons ...

I have weighed two samples of the 1 gallon zip-lock bags of raw grapes. Average weight is 3.7 lbs. And I have 22 or perhaps 23 of these. That may be as much as Eighty Pounds of grapes. Which, if I recall correctly, is nearly Twice as much as a WinExpert Kit of prepared Juice.
You can't directly compare grapes with juice or concentrate. 100 lbs of grapes will net ~6 US gallons of finished wine. If you don't have a press, I hazard the guess you'll get ~4 gallons. If you add water, it will up the amount, but dilute the body, color, and flavor.

What is the brix/SG?

Thank you all very much for those who have given great advice regarding this project. Unfortunately, I have learned what great effort folks who process grapes themselves have had to undergo. And those who process any sort of whole fruit to produce a wine.

It is too much for me to do. I have many other chores and duties to accomplish, and I must abandon this effort to somehow utilize The Grapes Next Door.

At the least, I have learned quite a lot. And Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back