the future ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CALLER: Is this Pizza Hut?

GOOGLE: No, sir, it’s Google Pizza.

CALLER: I must have dialed a wrong number, sorry.

GOOGLE: No, sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.

CALLER: Okay, well I would like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE: Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER: My usual? You know me?

GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last twelve times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER: Super! That’s what I’ll have.

GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?

CALLER: What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!

GOOGLE: Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

CALLER: How the hell do you know that?

GOOGLE: Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER: Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE: Excuse me, sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of thirty cholesterol tablets once at Lloyds Pharmacy, four months ago.

CALLER: I bought more from another Pharmacy.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

CALLER: I paid in cash.

GOOGLE: But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER: I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!

CALLER: WHAT THE HELL!

GOOGLE: I’m sorry, sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.

CALLER: Enough already! I’m sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I’m going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.

GOOGLE: I understand, sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired six weeks ago …

Welcome to the future!

True. But you realize that was fiction, right?
Are you sure? Really sure?

;)
Winemaker81 has an excellent question there sour_grapes! Here’s a non fiction story that relates!!!
I had 3 Dachshunds until March 18 of this year. I’ve taken a lot of pics of them over the years. I had the oldest one euthanized the morning of March 18, he was almost 15. Became paralyzed in his hind quarters at 4, he had cancer at 10. He’d had surgery for both conditions but he was a very smart dog with a lot of pluck so I hit the hip.
He developed another internal condition in early March that progressed rapidly leading me to make the very very difficult decision to have him euthanized. I was devastated to say the least.
Brought his body home to bury him. The wife had to drive to and from the vet because I just couldn’t stop crying. I sat around and cried and drank wine all day after burying him.
That evening my iPhone spontaneously created and displayed “Memories” photo slides of practically ALL my various dog pictures over the years. Neatly organizing them by year.
The phone had never ever ever done that, at least not dog pictures. Not ever!!!
So after that first hand experience I did not KNOW that post was fiction, I thought it was meant to be but didn’t know as in having that knowledge! Tell me, do you know it can’t happen?

AI is potentially very very bad mojo.

Folks call it "AI" but there's no intelligence involved. It's a decision tree that dumbly processes data according to rules someone setup. Ya know how the Terminator is coldly and unfeelingly efficient? That's an accurate description.

In your case, all your pictures are scanned and contents are identified and this data is stored. Since it appeared to be a special occasion, probably based on the number of photos, and the system simply collected the applicable photos. That's scary enough ......

Winemaker81 has an excellent question there sour_grapes! Here’s a non fiction story that relates!!!
I had 3 Dachshunds until March 18 of this year. I’ve taken a lot of pics of them over the years. I had the oldest one euthanized the morning of March 18, he was almost 15. Became paralyzed in his hind quarters at 4, he had cancer at 10. He’d had surgery for both conditions but he was a very smart dog with a lot of pluck so I hit the hip.
He developed another internal condition in early March that progressed rapidly leading me to make the very very difficult decision to have him euthanized. I was devastated to say the least.
Brought his body home to bury him. The wife had to drive to and from the vet because I just couldn’t stop crying. I sat around and cried and drank wine all day after burying him.
That evening my iPhone spontaneously created and displayed “Memories” photo slides of practically ALL my various dog pictures over the years. Neatly organizing them by year.
So after that first hand experience I did not KNOW that post was fiction, I thought it was meant to be but didn’t know as in having that knowledge! Tell me, do you know it can’t happen?

I definitely share your concern with big data, and analytics, etc. Here is a well-known scary example (out of a multitude of examples): How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did

And a relevant John Oliver piece:

But, yes, I am certain that example was not a true story. Google has not purchased Pizza Hut.

My father is on medication because his watch told him he may have a heart condition and he should contact his doctor. He has never had any troubles with his heart. Up in to his 70's he could still beat me up a mountain. It was never a problem before the watch alerted him, and it still hasn't been anything he even noticed, but he's on medication for it now, so that's comforting....:rolleyes:

Your phone was listening in. Oh yeah, they do. I had a similar experience at work. I was talking to a coworker in the break room, and in the course of that, she mentioned she had taken a trip to New Zealand. I said I have always wanted to visit New Zealand. When I got back to my iMac in my office, all the ads on it were suddenly about New Zealand tourism. That was several weeks ago, and I still am getting ads about New Zealand, though they are slacking off some now. It also makes me wonder how much is being recorded and videoed on the built-in mic and camera on the iMacs, too. Some people I know tape it over. They are cybersecurity folks, too.

My father is on medication because his watch told him he may have a heart condition and he should contact his doctor. He has never had any troubles with his heart. Up in to his 70's he could still beat me up a mountain. It was never a problem before the watch alerted him, and it still hasn't been anything he even noticed, but he's on medication for it now, so that's comforting....:rolleyes:

A professor at the university where I work was the first to propose a wireless network of wearable body monitors in a 2000 research paper. They raise all kinds of interesting ethical questions about the reams of information gathered and how it will be used, but basically I'm in favor. This prof is all wired up, every day, with his Apple watch and his iPhone as his portable monitor.

It is so hard to tell where this will end up but to some extent it seems inevitable that it will be a part of our lives from now on. I like @vinny story about his father and assume that health monitoring is a stated feature of the wearable smart watches. It’s the way Google monetizes the info they gather that bothers me. It feels like we are left with no choice in the matter if we want to use technology.

A little scary but could be true soon! Ordering pizza in 2023.

CALLER: Is this Pizza Hut?
GOOGLE: No sir, it's Google Pizza.>>>
CALLER: I must have dialed a wrong number, sorry.
GOOGLE: No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.
CALLER: OK. I would like to order a pizza.
GOOGLE: Do you want your usual, sir?
CALLER: My usual? You know me?
GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.
CALLER: Super! That’s what I’ll have.
GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?
CALLER: What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!
GOOGLE: Your cholesterol is not good, sir.
CALLER: How the hell do you know that?
GOOGLE: Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
CALLER: Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.
GOOGLE: Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Lloyds Pharmacy, 4 months ago.
CALLER: I bought more from another Pharmacy.
GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.
CALLER: I paid in cash.
GOOGLE: But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.
CALLER: I have other sources of cash.
GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!

CALLER: WHAT THE HELL!
GOOGLE: I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.
CALLER: Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.
GOOGLE: I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago.

OMG! I said something negative about Google. I’m doomed!
It can't be unsaid. It is forever logged. Lock your doors!

It feels like we are left with no choice in the matter if we want to use technology.
There are options. I had a Chromebook. Once I realized how invasive Google is I shed everything. They literally log every key stroke on a CB and all your documents are saved to Google servers as you type. You have to download a copy to save to your hard drive. Zero privacy and totally messed up.

Now, my laptop has Linux on it. Totally open source and completely privacy based. Free too.

My phone runs CalyxOS another free open source product. It's the stock version of Android. Completely degoogled. Exactly the same function without the google text to speech, google maps, or google personal invasion. When I take a picture, it stays on my phone. It is not sent into the giant pool of Google knowledge.

It's a small thing, but at least I know my life isn't being harvested for profiling and profit.

A professor at the university where I work was the first to propose a wireless network of wearable body monitors in a 2000 research paper. They raise all kinds of interesting ethical questions about the reams of information gathered and how it will be used, but basically I'm in favor. This prof is all wired up, every day, with his Apple watch and his iPhone as his portable monitor.
Not for me, but to each their own. I don't even wear a watch, let alone full body system diagnostics. 😄

Not for me, but to each their own. I don't even wear a watch, let alone full body system diagnostics. 😄

I heard that! Peeps are constantly amazed that I can tel the time usually within 15 minutes. Hey, it's cuz I do not wear a watch!

It is so hard to tell where this will end up but to some extent it seems inevitable that it will be a part of our lives from now on. I like @vinny story about his father and assume that health monitoring is a stated feature of the wearable smart watches. It’s the way Google monetizes the info they gather that bothers me. It feels like we are left with no choice in the matter if we want to use technology.

You know what gives me hope? I am around lots of young people at the university, and so many of them are consciously weighing how much they use the Net and the services provided. They are actively limiting their time and the info they give out. That to me is AMAZINGLY hopeful! I learned right here on WMT how your information can be used against you. I applaud these young folks for being conscious about their usage.

Latest posts

Back