The flower wine thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rappatuz

Reaction score
We've come to the time when there are flowers blooming everywhere. Some times I pass a flower, smell it and wonder if it would make a good (or great) wine.

As far as threads go I see a lot of discussion about dandelion and elderflower, and to some extent hibiscus and lilac, but there are so many flowers out there.

I'd like to know what flower wines you have made. Great if you'd rank them from favorite to least favorite.

PS: Would be great to do a poll but can't find out how to :a1

Yes Dawg, very flavorful and much better than I thought it would be. No additional flavors added, just straight Hibicus flowers, sugar, yeast and yeast additives.

I have made a fair number of flower wine thru the years. It all started with a book that I came across in the 70's - "Flower, Leaf and Sap Wines". Made a Birch Sap Sauterne which was good, but........ back to flowers:

Wild Rose Petal - quite nice, wonderful aroma
Wild Rose Petal with Dill - nice combination
Hibiscus - excellent
Hibiscus with Dill - very nice
Hibiscus and Heather - a bit of "Green" flavor
Elderflower - very nice, Chardonnay tones
Day Lily - not very good

I would like to try Catalpa flowers but I can't determine if they are totally safe.

Last edited:
Used: 2 oz. Hibiscus flowers dried, 2 lb of sugar, 128 oz of spring water, 1 & half tsp. of acid blend, 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and yeast. Make a beutiful
red wine and has a great flavor.
Thank you come time i think i can rob mom without her finding out, them are a solid 4 feet by 6 feet and tons of flowers so i can cut and snip here and their,
Dawg

I have made a fair number of flower wine thru the years. It all started with a book that I came across in the 70's - "Flower, Leaf and Sap Wines". Made a Birch Sap Sauterne which was good, but........ back to flowers:

Wild Rose Petal - quite nice, wonderful aroma
Wild Rose Petal with Dill - nice combination
Hibiscus - excellent
Hibiscus with Dill - very nice
Hibiscus and Heather - a bit of "Green" flavor
Elderflower - very nice, Chardonnay tones
Day Lily - not very good

I would like to try Catalpa flowers but I can't determine if they are totally safe.

Nice list! Surprised you haven't tried dandelion which seems to be the most popular flower wine. So I guess hibiscus is your favorite, followed by elderflower?

Last year I made kiwi fruit wine with petals from wild rose (not really a "flower wine" but though I should mention it). It turned beautifully rosé with a wonderful gentle flavor. I'll probably make it this year but up the amount of kiwi fruit.

Thank you come time i think i can rob mom without her finding out, them are a solid 4 feet by 6 feet and tons of flowers so i can cut and snip here and their,
Dawg

The general amount of Hibiscus flowers is 2 oz DRIED. Fresh, you should probably a quart or more per gallon. And, as Jack Keller says: "Some species are more edible than others".

Nice list! Surprised you haven't tried dandelion which seems to be the most popular flower wine. So I guess hibiscus is your favorite, followed by elderflower?

Last year I made kiwi fruit wine with petals from wild rose (not really a "flower wine" but though I should mention it). It turned beautifully rosé with a wonderful gentle flavor. I'll probably make it this year but up the amount of kiwi fruit.

I've thought about the Dandelion, but the Rose Petal just has such a wonderful aroma and they are a LOT easier to harvest, I've just stuck with them. No problem removing all the green, the petals just fall off.

Actually dandelions are not hard to harvest, though the season is short. The secret is not to pull the petals from the flower but to snip them with scissors. You can harvest a gallon of flowers in about an hour.

Actually dandelions are not hard to harvest, though the season is short. The secret is not to pull the petals from the flower but to snip them with scissors. You can harvest a gallon of flowers in about an hour.

A gallon of petals per hour?

My method is to pick them after they've started closing up (when it starts getting darker at night). They don't need to be all closed up, just a bit will do. I'll collect all petals and hold on to them with my left hand and pinch the bottom/base with my right hand until they come off. This takes a lot of time, though, and I'll end up with just about a liter (quart) an hour. The advantage is that I end up with yellow petals only.

Used: 2 oz. Hibiscus flowers dried, 2 lb of sugar, 128 oz of spring water, 1 & half tsp. of acid blend, 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and yeast. Make a beutiful
red wine and has a great flavor.
Thanks for the receipe. A friend brought me some dried hibiscus from Central America, and other than making tea, I was wondering what I could do with them. You have given me a great idea. I will start it up today.

Latest posts

Back