The evil holiday is almost here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I could imagine this utopian world.

Come again?

Pardon me?

Wow, don't rub it in, Gina! Please tell your hubby that he is a lucky man.

*Resisting the urge to crack a joke about "rubbing it"* ANYWAY, can't help it, we still technically qualify as newlyweds.

It must be a conspiracy to kepe March 14 a secret. I have never heard of it and don't seem to know anybody else who has either. Can't say the same for Feb 14. Everybody has heard of that one.

I just want you gents to know that not every woman is on board with V day. I have detested it for decades. I remember exactly when it happened.
Feb 14th, 1988. It was a Sunday morning and we were lazing in the family room watching TV. Out of the blue, my husband stood up and said to our two young daughters. "Well, come on kids, I guess we better go to the drug store and get Mom something for Valentines Day."

It infuriated me that he felt so obligated. From that day on, we have never celebrated it. Nor do we celebrate March 14th, steak and (eh hem) day.
Fair is fair:D

WAIT A MINTUTE!!!

STEAK AND "EH-HEM" DAY???

Why was I never told about this???

"scuse me while a have a little talk with the wife...

:) :) ;)

I must be in the minority here……. LOL

I understand your views I do. I actually like looking for a card that expresses my feeling towards my wife and all the trials and tribulations we have experienced over all the years we have been together. We do NOT however go out to dinner. Too crowded, poor service and as others have mentioned crazy expensive. I like to cook, enjoy planning and preparing a nice surprise dinner. Have more than a few REALLY nice bottles of wine in the cellar. :sm

I go in early to work and get off early. Wife goes in later and works later so I have a couple hours after work to whip something special up. Flowers, what can I say, Costco, 2 dozen (beautiful) roses for like $15.99. Add a gift card or two to her favorite clothing stores and I am done.

The day actually forces you to stop for a moment and be thankful for that special someone who you share all the moments of your life with, good, bad and everything in between.

Now I guess I should to tell her about March 14th! :p

I must be in the minority here……. LOL

I understand your views I do. I actually like looking for a card that expresses my feeling towards my wife and all the trials and tribulations we have experienced over all the years we have been together. We do NOT however go out to dinner. Too crowded, poor service and as others have mentioned crazy expensive. I like to cook, enjoy planning and preparing a nice surprise dinner. Have more than a few REALLY nice bottles of wine in the cellar. :sm

I go in early to work and get off early. Wife goes in later and works later so I have a couple hours after work to whip something special up. Flowers, what can I say, Costco, 2 dozen (beautiful) roses for like $15.99. Add a gift card or two to her favorite clothing stores and I am done.

The day actually forces you to stop for a moment and be thankful for that special someone who you share all the moments of your life with, good, bad and everything in between.

Now I guess I should to tell her about March 14th! :p

I hear ya glowin, but wouldn't it be more romantic to do this simply "out of the blue" rather than when she expects it? Show her how you feel when you want to and not when you are expected to?

I hear ya glowin, but wouldn't it be more romantic to do this simply "out of the blue" rather than when she expects it? Show her how you feel when you want to and not when you are expected to?

Exactly my point(s) in my post. Do these types of things everyday or at different times throughout the year, not just when "society says so".

Not meant toward you Mike, just my feelings on the matter. If what you are doing works for you and your loved one, then keep doing it. That is the beauty of it, we all have choices.

Absolutely, but how many people would take the time to do it? Especially if you have been married for years and years and life is hectic, work is crazy, any number of reasons (excuses) to not get around to doing it. This works for a lot of folks. If it doesn't work for you I support your feeling of boycotting the day.

Just do this, when you do decide to celebrate the "day" Post it up!

I am with Mike on this issue. I like Valentine's Day and always have. The day has great memories of exchanging valentine in grade school, getting a "special" one for the girl you liked most. Of bringing home chocolates in heart shaped boxes for my wife and daughter (and wondering why her box of candy never seemed to empty until we chanced upon her "reloading" hers from my wife's). Of sending a little white Teddy Bear clutching a heart to my daughter when she was in college. And too many to list here. I guess I am just an incurable romantic.

I think it's a Hallmark Holiday, however I did send flowers to my wife, but had them delivered for Thursday instead of Friday since Thursday is my Daughter's 7th birthday... I get my wife flowers several times of throughout the year "Just Because". I never felt I needed a reason.

Last edited:
I should mention that my husband and I date on a regular weekly/bi weekly basis (these days, whenever we can get a sitter!).

So I get dinner out and time with just him more often that other couples with young kids. We've just made it a priority in our relationship/marriage. :i

I should mention that my husband and I date on a regular weekly/bi weekly basis (these days, whenever we can get a sitter!).

So I get dinner out and time with just him more often that other couples with young kids. We've just made it a priority in our relationship/marriage. :i

This is much to my thinking rayway.

That is the key. Everyone has time somewhere, you just have to prioritize it.

Agrees! Too many relationships fail because one or both feels detached or neglected.

We make it a point to go to a concert or have 1 special night out alone with no kids once a month. We often have little mini-date-nights with some snacks, wine, and cuddling on the couch while we watch a movie or our favorite shows.

I deal with Valentine's Day with nothing but abject neglect. I hate that day anyway--dad died on Valentine's Day so it's nothing I want to celebrate.

I deal with Valentine's Day with nothing but abject neglect. I hate that day anyway--dad died on Valentine's Day so it's nothing I want to celebrate.

So sorry to hear that Turock. Don't blame you for having an extra dislike for the "holiday".

Thanks John--it will be 5 years on Friday. It was so hard to let him go because he was such a good man.

For all those "boycotting" the day.......... :)

1620796_10151888638390981_419586370_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back