The DIETING ENCOURAGEMENT thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve lost 83 Lbs using a keto diet along with a 16 hour fast probably 95%+ of the time otherwise a 12 hour fast. Those long fasts help keep the weight off between keto “sessions”.
Was 314 Lbs when I started and was down to 231 when I came off right before last Thanksgiving. Just went back on keto April 1, I went up 6 Lbs to 237 in those 4+ months and already dropped 2 in the last week. I’m now 15 Lbs from my high school weight but probably never have that high school body, I’ve nowhere near the muscle mass I had then. Maybe at 210 I’ll be able to get into my 36x36 Wranglers again!
Wondering if anyone else checks their blood to gauge how deep in ketosis they are?

If one is comfortable in their body to hell with losing weight, enjoy life. You have today, tomorrow is not promised!
I decided to do something the day I consulted with an orthopedic surgeon to have my hip replaced, artificial hips can wear out much quicker than what one is born with. Excess weight does not help them last.

I haven't posted in this thread, but I want to thank @jswordy for starting it and the information. I do not desire to lose any weight. (I would prefer that my muscle/fat ratio was a little better, though.) Nonetheless, I got interested in Jim's diet.

In particular, my DW and I had noticed a bit of a "sugar rush" at some times of the day. We eat zero sweets, but I always made sure to serve a starch with each meal (along with a slab of protein and 3 vegetables). We decided to give a very-low-carb diet a try. Because I make all of our food from scratch, it was easy to keep dietary* carbs down. I did have some "keto flu" symptoms in the second week. I felt like my body was looking for blood sugar, and NOT FINDING IT! 😆 However, that faded, and we both feel good. The highs and lows are pretty much eliminated.

*The asterisk is because I am (wrongly) not considering alcohol as "dietary." I think we drink enough to keep us out of ketosis! :sp Because my goal did not include weight loss, I am okay with this!

I'm down another five pounds. (Total of 55 from my highest) It's amazing what three days in the hospital on NPO (as in no food or water) waiting for the docs to decide do we just take out this inflamed gallbladder or do we run more tests to decide if there are gallstones. Final decision just take out gallbladder.

Very thankful for laproscopic procedures. Four holes, three little ones that healed really well, the belly button one that isn't doing so well. My wife is now very accomplished at packing a wound after the weeks. Hopefully almost closed up.

I might be able to lift more than a gallon of water. I got wine work to do.

I'm down another five pounds. (Total of 55 from my highest) It's amazing what three days in the hospital on NPO (as in no food or water) waiting for the docs to decide do we just take out this inflamed gallbladder or do we run more tests to decide if there are gallstones. Final decision just take out gallbladder.

Very thankful for laproscopic procedures. Four holes, three little ones that healed really well, the belly button one that isn't doing so well. My wife is now very accomplished at packing a wound after the weeks. Hopefully almost closed up.

Glad you're on the mend.

Because I make all of our food from scratch, it was easy to keep dietary* carbs down.

Okay, this is funny. IMMEDIATELY after posting this, we were invited by some friends for a spontaneous dinner. They were making chicken saltimbocca, and had bought too much food, so decided to invite us. We went over, and the dinner was: a delicious chicken breast saltimbocca, a small spoonful of greens, and a huge plateful of spaghetti! :slp

Okay, this is funny. IMMEDIATELY after posting this, we were invited by some friends for a spontaneous dinner. They were making chicken saltimbocca, and had bought too much food, so decided to invite us. We went over, and the dinner was: a delicious chicken breast saltimbocca, a small spoonful of greens, and a huge plateful of spaghetti! :slp
Maybe it was cauliflower spaghetti ?

Never had it made with chicken, always veal. I have to try that. Sounds great.

Do they pound the chicken breast before cooking?

Never had it made with chicken, always veal. I have to try that. Sounds great.

Do they pound the chicken breast before cooking?

Yes. But in other ways, their recipe differs from mine. They were trying to replicate the fare at a local favorite restaurant. IMHO, that version is not so traditional.

Their version: Pound chicken breast thin; dredge in flour; saute both sides until brown; cover with chopped sage leaves; cover with piece of prosciutto; cover with gorgonzola cheese; place lid unti cheese melts; remove and make pan sauce.

My version: Pound boneless chicken thigh thin; cover surface with whole sage leaves; cover this with a piece of prosciutto; dredge bottom of thigh in flour; saute both sides; remove and make pan sauce.

Note that in my version, the prosciutto and sage get fried. In their version it does not. And thighs are much better than breasts for this dish, IMHO.

Yes. But in other ways, their recipe differs from mine. They were trying to replicate the fare at a local favorite restaurant. IMHO, that version is not so traditional.

Their version: Pound chicken breast thin; dredge in flour; saute both sides until brown; cover with chopped sage leaves; cover with piece of prosciutto; cover with gorgonzola cheese; place lid unti cheese melts; remove and make pan sauce.

My version: Pound boneless chicken thigh thin; cover surface with whole sage leaves; cover this with a piece of prosciutto; dredge bottom of thigh in flour; saute both sides; remove and make pan sauce.

Note that in my version, the prosciutto and sage get fried. In their version it does not. And thighs are much better than breasts for this dish, IMHO.
Sounds delicious, I’m going to have to try that dish. Do you use the cheese too?

I have to try this. I agree that the thighs are much more flavorful than the breast. I usually buy boneless, skinless thighs for my chicken dishes. Thanks for the recipe.

I have to try this. I agree that the thighs are much more flavorful than the breast. I usually buy boneless, skinless thighs for my chicken dishes. Thanks for the recipe.

When I cover the sage leaves with the prosciutto, I stick a toothpick in, nearly parallel to the surface, down into the thigh and back up through the prosciutto. This holds the prosciutto and sage leaves onto the thigh.

Sounds delicious, I’m going to have to try that dish. Do you use the cheese too?

No, I usually don't. But I certainly wouldn't object to it!

For traditional veal saltimbocca, I think cheese may or may not be used. If it is used, I believe Fontina is the traditional choice.

I had that done. The doc had been doing them for 15 years. said I had the most stones of anyone he had seen. They had to enlarge the hole to get it out! He showed me the lab report, showed the blank where they put the number of stones. He laughed and pointed to my result. They had just written in "Numerous." :D So glad I did it! Gallstone attacks are NO FUN!

I have achieved Finnish Spitz Dog and am approaching Cinder Block. My belt says I have lost 4 inches around the waist. Skin is finally shrinking down to the new weight, lol....

Back