The DIETING ENCOURAGEMENT thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
Who's dieting? (Raises hand.) Let's encourage each other! Post up those losses and encourage each other to keep it off!

I'm doing strict keto (25 grams of sugar total per day) with the modification of allowing a small glass of wine each day (counted in the sugar total) and one "free day' every couple of weeks. I started Jan. 1 and have dropped 16 pounds with no added exercise. I feel so much better burning fats instead of sugar. Many benefits so far.

Hated to have to diet again, but things had gotten out of hand and my blood work was not going in the proper direction. Keto always works for me. I have lost 35 pounds on it before. The trouble is keeping it off. But this time, I have to do that.

What's up with your diet?

I have been on the see food diet for many, many years. My doctor tells me I should shut my eyes much more often. But my stomach overrules that.

Keto can be made so easy. I call the easy form the Eat Nothing White Diet. No sugar, no potatoes or other root veggies, no breads, noodles or starches. Green leafy veggies or any above-ground veggies except corn along with meat, broth, eggs and butter are all good, eat as much as you like but pace yourself as they are filling. Tree nuts serve as a snack. The first week is always terribly rough for me as I switch over, but then the benefits in burning fats - the way I feel better, no matter what I weigh at the time - are good rewards.

All of the successful diets seem to target carbs. WW, Keto, Mediterranean, I’m sure there are many more. In 2020 I lost 45 lbs then got my COVID 19…. More like COVID 25! I have been getting serious about carb reduction again in the last three weeks and am already down 7 lbs. to keep it off you need to permanently change your lifestyle! For me that’s no sugary drinks (except a wine or two each day) very limited pasta, bread, and sweets.

it’s not a vanity thing. I just feel like 💩 when I’m eating too may carbs. That and I want to stay healthy so I can enjoy the grandkids. WW helps keep me on track (all fresh foods. none of their processed garbage) Within a week of limiting carbs I feel much better.

I am on what I call my "3 bowling ball" diet. I hope to lose at least 48 pounds and I am using NutriSystem's program. I started about a month ago and I have almost lost my first bowling ball (16 pounds). The program is okay, food is passable (no danger of a Duncan Hines rating). What it amounts to is about 1100 calories per day plus all the low carb (starch and sugar) content vegetables that you can eat. My progress is not as impressive as some, perhaps, because of the way I cook my vegetables (steam, then saute' in olive oil and herbs) and the amount I can eat.

I just received my 2nd month's delivery of NS food and I plan to suspend deliveries going forward. I have been scoping out store bought items that mimic the NS products. I believe that as long as I eat lean meats, fish, chicken and lots of vegetables and try to limit my daily caloric intake to 1500-2000, I should be okay. I have lost thousands of pounds in my lifetime. The problem is I have gained a net 245 more over the same period. I would like to get down to something that approaches my high school/college weight of about 190 and maintain it, which is normally the struggle. I have reached goals in the past and then I, "Well, it's only one pound" myself back up to the 240's.

Last edited:
@jswordy, @cmason1957, @ChuckD, @hounddawg. Just a question for the heck of it. How many of you were raised with "the poor people in Europe (or wherever) are starving" guilt trip so that you had to finish everything on your plate? To this day, as I approach 80 years of age, I cannot leave anything on my plate, even if I hate it!

Good luck to all of you! Keto is great (until you stop it), but I still go with the old calories in, calories out. While the weather has not been very cooperative, I’ve walked 87 miles outside so far this month. No weight loss, but I’m still enjoying all the leftover holiday treats with no gain. And spring is a short time away when I’ll get busy in the garden. Sadly, the older you get the less calories you need and you need to really learn to eat/make smaller portions.

@jswordy, @cmason1957, @ChuckD, @hounddawg. Just a question for the heck of it. How many of you were raised with "the poor people in Europe (or wherever) are starving" guilt trip so that you had to finish everything on your plate? To this day, as I approach 80 years of age, I cannot leave anything on my plate, even if I hate it!
That's me! My uncle tells stories of eating watermelon rinds when he was lucky to have them.

@jswordy, @cmason1957, @ChuckD, @hounddawg. Just a question for the heck of it. How many of you were raised with "the poor people in Europe (or wherever) are starving" guilt trip so that you had to finish everything on your plate? To this day, as I am80 years of age, I cannot leave anything on my plate, even if I hate it!
I WAS , to eat every thing on my plate, my dad was born in a barn in January, with snow on the floor , he traveled across the country to pick fruit starting at age 10. ,, and i've heard dad say that when grandma came in with flour, all 11 kids would eat raw flower while grandma cooked gravy, dads 89, i was told at every meal to clean my plate because others where not getting to eat, for around 40 years i raise a beef, pork, chickens, due to health i no longer raise rabbits, all that was drummed into my head my head daily
Dawg

the best way IMHO IS set your time like no food from 6;pm till 6am
Dawg

Good luck to all of you! Keto is great (until you stop it), but I still go with the old calories in, calories out. While the weather has not been very cooperative, I’ve walked 87 miles outside so far this month. No weight loss, but I’m still enjoying all the leftover holiday treats with no gain. And spring is a short time away when I’ll get busy in the garden. Sadly, the older you get the less calories you need and you need to really learn to eat/make smaller portions.
When I was younger I would generally gain 5 lbs or so every winter and lose it in the summer. Around 40 I stopped losing it in the summer! I wish I could eat like I used to but yeah. Gotta watch the portions. I actually eat much healthier now than I did as a young man.

Not so much. Although we were encouraged to clear our plates. In actuality I have lost 40 lbs in the last year the old fashioned way a pound or so every week. Have about another 40 or so to go. Now if I could just figure out how to increase my exercise time that would be much faster, but sedentary are me. New knees, can't run, can't exercise much.

Not so much. Although we were encouraged to clear our plates. In actuality I have lost 40 lbs in the last year the old fashioned way a pound or so every week. Have about another 40 or so to go. Now if I could just figure out how to increase my exercise time that would be much faster, but sedentary are me. New knees, can't run, can't exercise much.
offend your wife, you'll find out you can still run,, lol
Dawg

I was told to take all you want but eat all you take. Do Not Waste! These customs come from a time when starvation, or at least hunger was wide spread and people didn’t enjoy the incredible wealth of goods available at least during my life being 61.
My Father and Mother were Depression children, it very deeply affected them to be frugal and not waste especially food. They knew what it was like to be underfed children.
I try not to judge folks in the past harshly because I can only understand my own milieu but can not truly understand theirs.

Just a question for the heck of it. How many of you were raised with "the poor people in Europe (or wherever) are starving" guilt trip so that you had to finish everything on your plate? To this day, as I approach 80 years of age, I cannot leave anything on my plate, even if I hate it!
This is me -- One thing I dislike about restaurants is they serve too much, and cleaning the plate is engrained in me.

I was told to take all you want but eat all you take. Do Not Waste!
Yup. My parents grew up during the Great Depression, my dad on a farm (they had plenty to eat, but did NOT waste). My mom's dad died when she was 9, so she grew up in a boarding house while my grandmother worked as a cook in a hotel. She didn't always get enough to eat. I didn't grow up in difficult circumstances, but their childhood habits were engrained in me.

When I go to a buffet, I put little on my plate, so I have to go back for more. I made more trips to the bar, but tend to eat less than those around me. Not that my spare tire is any real evidence of this ....

I try not to judge folks in the past harshly because I can only understand my own milieu but can not truly understand theirs.

Jim, I did not mean to imply that I was criticizing my parents. They lived through the Depression as well and WWII rationing. A lot of "the poor people in Europe" starving were in France, Italy and Germany and this was widespread in the news in the mid to late 40's. What I meant by my statement is that finishing everything is ingrained in me, so I have to make a great effort at portion control.

Good luck to all of you! Keto is great (until you stop it), but I still go with the old calories in, calories out. While the weather has not been very cooperative, I’ve walked 87 miles outside so far this month. No weight loss, but I’m still enjoying all the leftover holiday treats with no gain. And spring is a short time away when I’ll get busy in the garden. Sadly, the older you get the less calories you need, and you need to really learn to eat/make smaller portions.
I completely agree with the calories in less calories burned equation. If > 0 equals weight gain, if < 0 equals weight loss. I also think if one examines any of the popular diet plans, they all come down to depending on calories consumed and calories burned in the end.

they all come down to depending on calories consumed and calories burned in the end.
Of course. The only difference is how you tip the balance and if it is sustainable. The only good way is to adopt a “diet” you can stick with forever.
The big problem is our bodies don’t like loosing weight and fight it the whole way. That’s why I don’t focus on weight but on eating healthy and keeping my body moving.

Latest posts

Back