The Devil’s Share?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No clue what’s happening over here. Logic & reason are out the window.
I noticed my wine levels fluctuating a little more than typical lately. No big deal right? I was curious so I topped everything up and marked the levels.
2 days later noticed all vessels dropped some, but 1 way more than others. and also my barrel leaking more than ever before in new areas. Drastic temp,humidity, and I gotta assume barometric pressure swings I figure to be the cause.

But here’s the kicker. The barrel leak I get. Levels dropping too. But the one demi is defying logic. Wines disappearing. In glass. The valve can be drippy. But merely a few drops. I’m losing a significant amount. This is the 2nd time i’v noticed this specific demi losing significant amount in last couple months.

IMG_8963.JPGAdjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPGIMG_9022.JPG

Looks like quite a bit of a level drop. Are you sure @ceeaton hasn't visited your cellar for some tipping during the night!

Can you see where the tube attaches to the demi at the bottom? Make sure there are no other leaks. Attach a length of tubing to the valve spigot, lay it horizontal but raise the open up a few inches and use it like a collection tube, it will reduce evaporation so you'll get a better idea of how much is really leaking over time.

I searched every inch in there. Dry as a bone. The amount the level dropped would have looked like a couple glasses of wine dumped out on the countertop.

The tubing is good idea tho. Would at least narrow the possibilities of the cause

@CDdrew the only transferring this is getting is into the bottle! She’s long overdue.

So a Demijohn with a spigot is a glass bottle with a hole in the bottom. Just sayin'.

How many carboys drop level like this?

It's either that, or the mice are sampling and doing quality control.

And-I like the demijohn idea, but a demijohn with a spigot is a leak waiting to ruin 15 gallons of wine.

So a Demijohn with a spigot is a glass bottle with a hole in the bottom. Just sayin'.

How many carboys drop level like this?

It's either that, or the mice are sampling and doing quality control.

And-I like the demijohn idea, but a demijohn with a spigot is a leak waiting to ruin 15 gallons of wine.

But then where’s all the wine goin? Only couple drips on the paper towel No stains or wine anywhere around it or under or anything. I would agree seems like the most logical thing. But no evidence of it.

I can’t just accept that as the case ignoring the lack of physical evidence!

Sounds like the physical evidence is the leaking wine.

"when all possible solutions are eliminated, only the impossible remains." - Sherlock Holmes

Sounds like the physical evidence is the leaking wine.

"when all possible solutions are eliminated, only the impossible remains." - Sherlock Holmes

Lol yes! I think this specific corner is haunted!

The same paper towel has been there the entire time. The wine on that could possibly be about 5ml-10mL maybe. But I’m lookin at about 400mL less wine— rough estimate.

You have a leak. Solve that before any other investigation needed.

But, I'd transfer to a real sealed vessel before anything else. There are many options, but you likely already have 3/5/6/6.5 carboys so get it out of the problem thing.

You have a leak. Solve that before any other investigation needed.

But, I'd transfer to a real sealed vessel before anything else. There are many options, but you likely already have 3/5/6/6.5 carboys so get it out of the problem thing.

It’s goin into bottles tomorrow night anyway. I know I sound crazy for not being content with the obvious but just can’t get past losing that much with no evidence. It’s been the same paper towel for a good while. With very minimal wine stain. Just weird. Fred could be right. But was only 3 days. Maybe I’m stubborn.

On another note— lots of prep tonight. Also lots of Kmeta. I’ll be honest I’ve gotten lazier with protection over time. Almost like I’ve gotten used to the fumes. All of a sudden my nose started bleeding! Yikes. Lesson learned. The hard way. As usual. Lol

*the haunted wineroom theory not ruled out just yet!

Last edited:
It’s goin into bottles tomorrow night anyway. I know I sound crazy for not being content with the obvious but just can’t get past losing that much with no evidence. It’s been the same paper towel for a good while. With very minimal wine stain. Just weird. Fred could be right. But was only 3 days. Maybe I’m stubborn.

On another note— lots of prep tonight. Also lots of Kmeta. I’ll be honest I’ve gotten lazier with protection over time. Almost like I’ve gotten used to the fumes. All of a sudden my nose started bleeding! Yikes. Lesson learned. The hard way. As usual. Lol

What protection do you use?

It was probably due to a change in temperature of the wine. Liquids expand at greater temperature and contract at lower temperature. What you have with your demijohn is a giant thermometer and, just like in a thermometer where the liquid expands with temperature increases and contracts with temperature decreases, the wine in your demijohn did the same. It certainly does not appear that the few stains on the paper towel could account for the "missing" wine.

Wine gremlins. Once they get into a winery they are terrible to try and get rid of. Drink your wine when you are not watching, move your tools around so they are hard to find, change recipes when your back is turned and always making the level of your bottles, carboys drop down. Going to have to design a trap for them one of these days. Arne.

No clue what’s happening over here. Logic & reason are out the window.
I noticed my wine levels fluctuating a little more than typical lately. No big deal right? I was curious so I topped everything up and marked the levels.
2 days later noticed all vessels dropped some, but 1 way more than others. and also my barrel leaking more than ever before in new areas. Drastic temp,humidity, and I gotta assume barometric pressure swings I figure to be the cause.

But here’s the kicker. The barrel leak I get. Levels dropping too. But the one demi is defying logic. Wines disappearing. In glass. The valve can be drippy. But merely a few drops. I’m losing a significant amount. This is the 2nd time i’v noticed this specific demi losing significant amount in last couple months.

View attachment 57919View attachment 57920View attachment 57921View attachment 57922
Someone is drinking it? LOL. How is your Malbec? I want to make a batch of it so bad, but can't find it.

Someone is drinking it? LOL. How is your Malbec? I want to make a batch of it so bad, but can't find it.

It’s the best wine I’ve ever made to be honest. Even bought the expensive tapered bottles for it lol. It was from May 2018 Chilean spring grapes purchased from Gino Pintos in south Jersey.
Has that gorgeous bright inky purple color so vibrant it stains the glass almost! Even stealing a few gal to darken up a cab.
I did the classic split ferment with D254/D80 yeast combo. Kept separate for a while till I blended in a new Hungarian barrel (my 1st).
I may even make some again this spring.

It’s the best wine I’ve ever made to be honest. Even bought the expensive tapered bottles for it lol. It was from May 2018 Chilean spring grapes purchased from Gino Pintos in south Jersey.
Has that gorgeous bright inky purple color so vibrant it stains the glass almost! Even stealing a few gal to darken up a cab.
I did the classic split ferment with D254/D80 yeast combo. Kept separate for a while till I blended in a new Hungarian barrel (my 1st).
I may even make some again this spring.
You mean two separate batches with each yeast and then blended or one batch with equal amounts of the two yeasts mixed together?

Latest posts

Back