Quantcast

The Cherry Experiment

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

pkm925

Reaction score
Last spring I decided to try an experiment with some Chilean Pinot Noir juice. Although in the past I have made some nice table wines from Chilean juice, I have been disappointed by the lack of varietal characteristics. My thought then was to augment one of the flavors typically found in Pinot. So I added 2lbs. of dried cherries (rinsed, soaked, rinsed and chopped) to the primary fermentation of 24 gallons of Pinot Noir juice. It's been bulk aging for 6 months and everything seemed fine but yesterday I tasted the wine and was surprised to find that the wine now had a VERY strong cherry taste and aroma. No nuance here, just plenty of cherry. I actually like the wine (PH is 3.45 and the T/A is 7.10) but it wasn't what I was expecting.

Now I'm wondering if this wine is just going through a 'phase' and the cherry taste will calm down and everything will be happy. I'm also wondering if I should take steps now to counteract the cherry and maybe offsetting it with other flavors (oak, black pepper, etc.). Finally, I think I could pass this off as a dry cherry wine if I wanted to and people would think it was good.

Any thoughts on this wine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
I, too, was going down the lines of "Just say it is cherry" in the event that it, wellll, tastes like cherry. I think that is preferable to monkeying around with it too much.

Latest posts