The Carboy Barrel?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i saw those, as well.
Can't see buying one but i did discover it on StumbleUpon. Heck 150 bux is 2 wine kits and maybe some chemicals. LOL.

I guess for the right person, it woud work. It sounds expensive, but he's certainly not gouging anyone. By the time he pays for materials, labor, advertising, overhead, etc. he's probably not making much, and unless he's selling thousands upon thousands, he has to have a bigger mark-up in there to make it worth his time.

Although I don't think I'd have a need for his product, I do salute him for making an effort in a crappy economy. According to his website, he's targeting the US market; and being that it's made in the US, it's an effort to improve our economy and reduce the trade imbalance.

People get so used to buying products that are made overseas by people making less than a $1 and hour, that when an honest hardworking local guy trys to carve out a little piece of the market, he gets laughed out of business. I'm just afraid we'll all be out of business soon. :(

Now the point that you could buy a handcrafted real barrel for a bit more has some validity, but for the carboy maker not looking to get into barrels, his solution does fill a void.

Last edited:
That is true, its not robbery, just a lot of money for something that isnt operational.

LOL ! :slp
SWMBO says the same here with my hobbies (beer & winemaking). BUTT, she loves the WINE !!

It might be a good fit for the apartment dweller who's forced to ferment in.... say... the livingroom. Who knows.... the guy might even stain them to match your other furniture.

Minnesotamaker is right!

I guess for the right person, it woud work. It sounds expensive, but he's certainly not gouging anyone. By the time he pays for materials, labor, advertising, overhead, etc. he's probably not making much, and unless he's selling thousands upon thousands, he has to have a bigger mark-up in there to make it worth his time.

Although I don't think I'd have a need for his product, I do salute him for making an effort in a crappy economy. According to his website, he's targeting the US market; and being that it's made in the US, it's an effort to improve our economy and reduce the trade imbalance.

People get so used to buying products that are made overseas by people making less than a $1 and hour, that when an honest hardworking local guy trys to carve out a little piece of the market, he gets laughed out of business. I'm just afraid we'll all be out of business soon. :(

Now the point that you could buy a handcrafted real barrel for a bit more has some validity, but for the carboy maker not looking to get into barrels, his solution does fill a void.

Good looking out Minnasotamaker for a guy just like us who is adding something to our craft and hobby. I think it's a fantastic addition. I love making wine but have always hated the carboy look. People come over to see my "home winery" and are confused with the bottles of...????? "where's the barrels of wine?"...I even had someone ask if this is really a Meth Lab!...and my wife HATES the look.

I understand the concept and think it's genius. In fact I ordered two of them today. And yes he will finish them however you want. They may not be for everyone but for those who like the look of oak barrels but make wine in glass carboys, these are perfect. In my business I see people spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars on decorative items.

In fact on this very site I see pictures of some of your wine making rooms that I know have costed several thousands to make them look impressive. Hey some people are happy with the $40.00 Walmart shelving to store their wine on and use a $5.00 sweatshirt from Goodwill to cover their carboys. Others spend a ton of money on custom built redwood bottel shelves.......and $160.00 on a beautiful hand made (in the USA) carboy cover. When I spoke to him he told me it takes about ten hours to make each one...plus material costs......not a rip-off in my eyes.

Minnasotamaker is absolutely right......Don't beat the guy up. Ease up on the Carboy Barrel guy!

Last edited:
Are they made of oak? In the pics it looks like pine with a dark stain but it's kind of hard to tell.

Drew,
welcome to the forum. Would like to hear more about the wine you make and your ventures. this is a great forum.
I don't think anyone is beating up this guy for the barrels, but it was just sticker shock for a cover on the carboy. I admire the guy for his woodworking abilities and entrepreneurship. I think most wine makers enjoy looking at their wine each day as it ferments and clears. I for one use old t-shirts to cover mine. My carboys are in the basement and if I have guests coming over all the carboys are stripped naked before they arrive!
Take a look at our photo albums. I prefer to spend any extra money on more carboys and toys that can make my wine making experience even more enjoyable.

That is true, its not robbery, just a lot of money for something that isnt operational.

I thought of a use... Maybe if the room you ferment in gets too much light it could block some out?

I'm lucky and have no natural light in my wine cave but I know a lot of people improvise with their space...

I wouldn't buy one only because every time I looked at it I would be thinking to myself... "you could have been 5 or 6 carboys"...

I like it - great for atmosphere! Doubtful I would spend that kind of money, but it does serve a purpose of protection from light. Perhaps a designer type fabric blanket/ cover for my carboys that would have a hole for the airlock would be less expensive, but the barrels are cool :)

Latest posts

Back