The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overnight sourdough bagels. Proofed up a bit bigger than I though they would as they rose overnight at around 45*F. Glad I didn't add any commercial yeast like I normally would to make sure they rose. I think the high gluten flour helped the rise as well.

View attachment 99769
You might find you like them better without holes. More room for slathering on the goodness.

I tried something over the weekend. @VinesnBines and I discuss ideas for using up bumper crops of wine, and she suggested using wine in place of water when making bread. So ... I made the basic white recipe on the back of the King Arthur flour bag, using a second run red in place of the water.

It actually worked, mostly. The bread didn't rise as much as expected, possibly due to the acid nature of the wine, so the loaf is dense. It wasn't red, but nor was it white. Oddly enough, it didn't have much flavor, kind of meh.

But it was an interesting experiment.

We made bagels over spring break as well, here's the recipe. The best ones were the Parmesean ones.
I add some sourdough discard and it adds quite a bit of flavor. Just make sure your thermometer is adjusted, normally dried yeast gives up the goat around 115*F, FYI. I'm sure the flour that the yeast is mixed in tempers the temperatures at bit.

Straight out of the oven, 50/50 Wholemeal and white, yeasted bread. I've been making it for years, just the one loaf at a time after the oven has been used for other cooking. I occasionally make so-called fancy bread or fruit loaf, but this is my regular.
View attachment 100411
Looks great, wish I could make bread like that.

Raining day, though not complaining, rain needed badly around these parts. Did a sort of cheat, used the bread machine we have here at the cabin to make a dough, then baked it in an old aluminum pan, I think. Whatever it is it's lightweight. Turned out okay once I remade with the yeast as an ingredient, lol.

6-14-23_bread.jpg

Last night I put a pot of spaghetti sauce on and let it simmer over night. Ended up with 7 quarts to freeze for later and one for tonight. Decided we needed some french bread to make garlic toast to go with it and can freeze a couple of loaves for later.

View attachment 104220
What recipe do you use for the dough

Latest posts

Back