The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would poke around on the KA website they have tons of recipes that are tried and true for sourdough and everything else baking. I always use a dutch oven and parchment paper for boules. For baguettes I have used a baguette pan. I have proofing bowls and use them for both boules and baguettes. Its a 2 day process that starts by taking your starter out of the fridge in the morning and then letting it warm up for a couple hours. Then you start weighing things out and working the dough. Day one ends around 5PM with your dough in your proofing bowls, and a produce baggie and a twist tie of sorts to keep the dough from drying out. I place the bowls to proof overnight in the garage (this time of year) or fridge in the warmer months. Next morning I preheat the oven and the DO at 450F. Place your first boule on parchment paper and score. Then pull your DO out and quickly pop it in and get the lid on top and into the oven. Baguettes I use a water pan in the oven for steam. Your steam bake sounds like it would work well. The DO really helps to hold in the moisture/heat with the lid so you get max spring/rise during the 1st step (closed) bake.

I use discard to make sourdough pizza crust (KA Recipe)

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-pizza-crust-recipe

I have tweaked this recipe to my liking but it is a great recipe to start with:

https://www.ediblenm.com/the-perfect-loaf-beginners-sourdough-bread/

Amazon sells lots of "starter kits" for bread baking.

I would defiinitely get

Proofing bowls (rattan with cloth liner) for both boules and baguettes
Kitchen scale for accurate weighing of ingredients
Bread Lame
Dough scraper (plastic with straight edge and rounded edge is my favorite)

An oven with a proof setting is really nice to have as well.

You can make some great sourdough pancakes with the discard as well.
Looking for recommendations for purchasing a sourdough starter.

Thanks!

Make your own! It’s easy and you get the unique yeasts native to your region. If you maintain the culture you only have to do this once. Mine has been going for over 3 years. Several varying directions on the internet that all probably work in the end. Here’s my experience….
Initial start up takes a while. Up to a few weeks.
Maintain using 1:1:1 ratio starter, water, flour
feed and store in fridge 2 to 3 weeks when not baking
feed 2 times a day when not in fridge to really energize it
hard to kill it! Just pour off the liquid (hooch) from top and feed
I’ve used this site for a lot of guidance and recipes.

https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2021/01/feeding-sourdough-starter-my-best-tips-tricks/

Looking for recommendations for purchasing a sourdough starter.
Super easy to make your own. Agree, King Arthur baking site. Takes a week (or less) to make.

Yes, a good desert should hurt a little.
Yes, it should hurt...as your eyes roll and you think you're in heaven.

BTW, this morning - Sourdough Cinnamon Crumb Cake from King Arthur using sourdough discard. It's good. Next time I may put a couple dollops of homemade jam in the batter.

crumbcake.jpg

I DO know that February 20th is International Pipe Smoking Day and I celebrate every day.
Huh...

I already have the mental image of a man so big he can rip the top of a wine bottle off with his bare hands. Strolling around smelling flowers and bottle feeding kittens as he tries to turn anything and everything imaginable into wine.

Now, I have to work in a smoking jacket and a pipe as you sip your wine...

I know you are Hungarian, but I am getting a little Sean Connery. Mittens don't shpill my wine!

Huh...

I already have the mental image of a man so big he can rip the top of a wine bottle off with his bare hands. Strolling around smelling flowers and bottle feeding kittens as he tries to turn anything and everything imaginable into wine.

Now, I have to work in a smoking jacket and a pipe as you sip your wine...

I know you are Hungarian, but I am getting a little Sean Connery. Mittens don't shpill my wine!
Yeah, I can only drink wine in a glass in 2 rooms or outside. Everywhere else has to be low center of gravity cup like a coffee mug. They will shpill it. I don't know why everything has to be on the floor?!

Speaking of Sean Connery, one of my cats shares a name with Auric Goldfinger. This is Aurie when he was 1 week old.
Aurie.jpg

Latest posts

Back