The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a strong start. Delicious, nice crumb, toasts beautifully.

The bottoms were too done for me, so I'll either look for a rack that fits my DO, or tone the temps down a bit.

Is the stretching what creates the thick crust? I wouldn't call the second loaf a baguette. It would be a good sandwich sized bread, but I think I would want to tone down the crust a bit for that.

Also going to try @ibglowin's technique with the 2 week old starter as the leaven to see what that does to increase the sourness. These are very good loaves, but more of a paesano (peasant) bread than a sourdough.

I have lots of experimenting to do, though. I can see minor changes completely changing the end result for different purposes.

PXL_20230126_190512071.jpg
PXL_20230126_190643851.jpg

Looks good for your first attempt! Like anything practice makes perfect. I think my starter will be 3 years old this June. What time and temp did you bake at?

I have lots of experimenting to do, though. I can see minor changes completely changing the end result for different purposes.
Time to start a log book!
Your bread should improve as your starter gets older.
Hydration will affect the thickness and crispyness of the crust. I've gone to 80% a couple times but it's a PITA to work with. A higher hydration makes laminating easier, though.
You got your bread, you got your wine, time to think about the cheese. 😃

Looks good for your first attempt! Like anything practice makes perfect. I think my starter will be 3 years old this June. What time and temp did you bake at? starting at 500

Started at 500 preheat and dropped to 450 for the 20 minutes covered then got distracted and waited for the 25 minute timer. Same for the baguette, but I pulled it out around 15-20 based on colour. The crust is much more... palatable?

Does not rip off the roof of ones mouth!

I also used regular bake, not convection.

I have a steam feature on the oven, that should be fun to play with.

I tried making sourdough about 6 years ago. The oven was gas and heated from the bottom, the bottoms were DARK. It was also a massively hydrated recipe. A challenge to get into the DO, to say the least, and with no banneton's, no fun.

I wasn't happy enough with the results to keep at it. This is a much better start. A few nitpicks and personal preferences, but that's better than disappointments.

Is straight up all purpose good? I used Einkorn, which is very whole wheaty, and had no rye so I split the rye ratio with AP and Einkorn.

Seriously? I'm jealous. I usually pour hot water in a tray. You'll love that feature!!
Is straight up all purpose good? I used Einkorn, which is very whole wheaty, and had no rye so I split the rye ratio with AP and Einkorn.
Experiment! I often use all purpose. Works great! Though I use King Arthur flours which I think is better quality than other grocery store flour.

I tried making sourdough about 6 years ago. The oven was gas and heated from the bottom, the bottoms were DARK. It was also a massively hydrated recipe. A challenge to get into the DO, to say the least, and with no banneton's, no fun.

I wasn't happy enough with the results to keep at it. This is a much better start. A few nitpicks and personal preferences, but that's better than disappointments.

I am no longer using rye or whole wheat except for when I want to make rye bread for sandwiches with my sourdough starter. I use 75% AP 25% Bread flour these days. The steam mode would be great if your not using the DO but the DO (lid) is what makes the perfect baking environment as it holds in the moisture and makes the bread rise better and gives it the best crust.

Started at 500 preheat ...
Also, you can drop that 500 preheat down to 475 or even 450 and your bottom won't get so dark and thick (my first loaf needed a chisel to cut through the bottom, though the rest of the loaf was great). You might have to add a few minutes to the bake time. I usually run my internal temp to 209*F.

Last edited:
Also, you can drop that 500 preheat down to 475 or even 450 and your bottom won't get so dark and thick (my first loaf needed a chisel to cut through the bottom, though the rest of the loaf was great). You might have to add a few minutes to the bake time. I usually run my internal temp to 209*F.
The baguette turned out much better overall.

The boule, I wouldn't say it needed a chisel, but it was certainly present. Gotta leave room to improve!

Seriously? I'm jealous. I usually pour hot water in a tray. You'll love that feature!!
It is awesome for cleaning! 😃 Doesn't stink up the house like your normal high heat self clean. With a little PBW she sparkles good as new.

I have only found one comment about it and it was from 2 weeks ago. A seasoned DO bread maker trying it out. It still worked well, but it raised differently and split along the bottom, likely from the fans. There will be a learning curve, but it sure would be nice to figure out. I could likely fit 4 loaves at the same time.

What do you use the tray to steam... Just looking for ideas to start scheming on.

What do you use the tray to steam... Just looking for ideas to start scheming on.
Most of my bread is made using "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" by Hertzberg and Francois. SUPER easy, minimal time. Mix everything in a large container, let it rise, throw into the fridge. When you want bread, grab a big handful, shape, throw into oven. No kneading! Pizza stone on one rack, tray for water on another. Incredibly easy and quick!

Oh Lordy, you got that right!!!
Money money money money money!
I'm also going to keep my mouth shut about experts, misinformation, journalists, and conspiracy theories. 😅
There’s an equally large number of functional medicine and holistic practitioners that agree with the warnings actually stating that all seed oils are not healthy because of how the oil is stripped and refined.
To stay on topic E2780B84-0EB2-4C26-BED1-FC90858E2706.jpeg
When I cooked this lion’s mane mushroom it didn’t taste like seafood.
89A2E059-0C88-4488-B25E-D9AB9969A9BC.jpeg 5141A597-32C8-4925-AE7C-9E39DEF0E8CF.jpeg
Enriched sourdough with fig, walnut, and goat cheese. I use a Danish dough whisk to bring the dough together, then stretch and fold etc by hand in the same bowl. There are pro artisan bakers that use a stand mixer for the first part and let it mix for about 8 minutes of course they are producing far more loaves a day than a home baker typically would.

I used the 40 ish grams of starter for the leaven in my first batch, then made a fresh starter from 50 grams. I had about a cup left and put it in the fridge to make sure my new batch kicked off OK.

This morning I used the discard for pancakes. Maybe the best I have ever made. Interested to see how they taste with an overnight recipe!

Plain and banana.. Banana wins this round!
PXL_20230129_184841176.jpg
PXL_20230129_185442578.jpg

I used the 40 ish grams of starter for the leaven in my first batch, then made a fresh starter from 50 grams. I had about a cup left and put it in the fridge to make sure my new batch kicked off OK.

This morning I used the discard for pancakes. Maybe the best I have ever made. Interested to see how they taste with an overnight recipe!

Plain and banana.. Banana wins this round!
View attachment 98108
View attachment 98109
I've only done the overnight version and love them.

I don't know what kind of a sweet tooth you have but this was a recent addition on the King Arthur site.
I didn't need to find this!!!

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe

Latest posts

Back