The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks nice.

Just an FYI, you do not use a mixer on sourdough. Its a slow process of letting the dough come together by hand and that's why it takes 24 hour for it to be ready to bake after proofing overnight. Other breads are OK including pizza doughs but not needed and actually makes it worse for making sourdough boules etc.

Testing out the new equipment. Gearing up for sourdough!

I have a smaller flip top stand mixer that bounces all over the counter. I've been looking at the Costco one for a couple of years and finally decided to upgrade. Today was the test drive.
View attachment 97702
No regrets, same name brand, but a completely different machine.

Finally filled in the microwave hole with a speed oven. Basically a microwave/convection oven. You can convection bake, broil, microwave, or all 3. Speed chef mode. So far I enjoy the fast heat ups more than anything. Banana bread is my first bake today.
View attachment 97705

Looks nice.

Just an FYI, you do not use a mixer on sourdough. Its a slow process of letting the dough come together by hand and that's why it takes 24 hour for it to be ready to bake after proofing overnight. Other breads are OK including pizza doughs but not needed and actually makes it worse for making sourdough boules etc.
Yup, that's exactly why I started making sourdough. Never got the hang of kneading. And my KA takes care of everything else.

Looks nice.

Thank you. I don't think I had planned to, but the note is appreciated to save me from my good ideas, in the future!

I intend to follow the recipe you posted for me to try, just waiting on the starter kit I ordered. I went for the basics, 10 inch baguette and 9 inch boule. I can only assume I will be adding some 15 incher's for bagguettes once I get the hang of it.

Banana is just mental preparation. 😄

It was a joy to use. I couldn't turn my back on the other one, it would jump across the counter. The motor is a definite improvement, too.
I sometimes use my KA to make marshmallow, SO much better than store bought. It involves being on high speed for 10 minutes. That would kill many stand mixers.

I'll keep it as short as I can...

Canola is a blending of Canada and oil because it was developed here. Canola is derived from the rape seed plant which is toxic. The gmo version is very easy to grow and there is a LOT of financing developing studies advocating its use. The process that is required to extract the oil and make it 'edible' is not conducive to creating a healthy oil. The ratio of omega's matters very much in an oil, if they are not balanced an oil becomes unhealthy. There is also the fact that it contains trans fats which are banned in many countries, due to (mainly) heart congestion.

This applies to many of the refined oils, peanut, grapeseed, safflower, sunflower, etc. etc.

I use olive oil for dressing and avocado oil for cooking. Coconut oil is another good choice, but it tastes like coconut and I usually don't want added flavor in my dishes.

If I deep fry, which is rare, I use lard which I render myself from local farm stores and keep in the fridge after use. If you are ever in doubt of what to use, think back to what Mom or Grandma used to use. Butter, lard, bacon fat.
Nothing to do with Bread. When I worked in the experimental foundry at Alcan laboratories we used rapeseed oil to lubricate the moulds when casting. It worked a treat to stop the molten alloys from sticking. :ot::D

Alright, sourdough day. I am going for it!

I've taken out the starter and divided it for the leaven and topped it up to 240 grams to store for the next 2 weeks.

I am following the directions in the link @ibglowin shared 100% this first go around so I don't have any question marks. I believe I read that normally you take your starter out of the fridge 4 hours in advance and take off 190g of the starter and add that to the dough recipe, essentially skipping the leaven? Then top back up, wait a few hours and move to the fridge once active?

I would rather take an extra step at this point, but that makes sense to save wasting the discard. I just want to make sure I am following.

No turning back, now. Not sure what everyone is so worked up about, it's just bread. 😬

Alright, sourdough day. I am going for it!

I've taken out the starter and divided it for the leaven and topped it up to 240 grams to store for the next 2 weeks.

I am following the directions in the link @ibglowin shared 100% this first go around so I don't have any question marks. I believe I read that normally you take your starter out of the fridge 4 hours in advance and take off 190g of the starter and add that to the dough recipe, essentially skipping the leaven? Then top back up, wait a few hours and move to the fridge once active?

I would rather take an extra step at this point, but that makes sense to save wasting the discard. I just want to make sure I am following.

No turning back, now. Not sure what everyone is so worked up about, it's just bread. 😬

Yea, the ~190gms I pull out of my starter is what I dump into the bowl with all my flour(s), salt, water. Its hungry and your giving it like 900gms of flour to feed on so its perfect for the job. I usually mix things up by 11AM and place into oven to proof (80F) for a couple 2-3 hours. Around 1PM I will pull out and do my 1st four corner pull and turn. Then every 60 mins repeat, rinse until ~ 5PM which is when I do the last one and then turn out the dough onto the counter and flour it up, work it into loaves (2) usually or 4 baguettes. Then into the floured bannetons (upside down!) and I always but a produce baggie over the banneton and close it up with a twist tie or some type of closure. They then go into the garage (Winter) or fridge (Summer) until the next morning. Preheat oven (including the DO) at 450F and when the oven is ready I dump the loaf unto parchment paper and score it. Pick it up by the edge of the parchment paper and then place it (carefully) into the HOT DO. Cover and into the oven for 25 mins. Take lid off and then bake for another 15-18 mins until done to my likening (color)

Yea, the ~190gms I pull out of my starter is what I dump into the bowl with all my flour(s), salt, water. Its hungry and your giving it like 900gms of flour to feed on so its perfect for the job. I usually mix things up by 11AM and place into oven to proof (80F) for a couple 2-3 hours. Around 1PM I will pull out and do my 1st four corner pull and turn. Then every 60 mins repeat, rinse until ~ 5PM which is when I do the last one and then turn out the dough onto the counter and flour it up, work it into loaves (2) usually or 4 baguettes. Then into the floured bannetons (upside down!) and I always but a produce baggie over the banneton and close it up with a twist tie or some type of closure. They then go into the garage (Winter) or fridge (Summer) until the next morning. Preheat oven (including the DO) at 450F and when the oven is ready I dump the loaf unto parchment paper and score it. Pick it up by the edge of the parchment paper and then place it (carefully) into the HOT DO. Cover and into the oven for 25 mins. Take lid off and then bake for another 15-18 mins until done to my likening (color)
Thanks. This is all quite exciting!

Hmmm. But you won't cheat with wine, huh? Interesting.
That's right!
I have a number of interests and they all have shortcuts, time savers, tricks...and rules. For example, with my photography no flash, no artificial lighting, and no photoshop.
I'm glad my rules are hard-wired because if I wrote them down, and read the list, I'd probably think I need professional help.

Latest posts

Back