The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a sourdough with good tang so I will have to experiment with the ranges.

When is it too late? I have made starters in the past and let them go WAY too far after not getting great results. They have been a pain to start so I would like to make sure I know my outer limit to keep this healthy. Is 2 weeks pushing the time spent in the fridge, or if I got distracted for a week could I bring it back easily?
Some worry when you get a "grey" water on top. It's just the alcohol the culture produces when feeding on the goodies you put in every couple of weeks. I have had no issues going three weeks, after that you are in uncharted territory as far as I'm concerned. I use bread flour to feed mine, might use whole wheat if I'm gonna make a whole wheat loaf in the near future. I think the whole wheat has more goodies that get it cranking pretty good, even in the fridge.

One thing, check the temp where you put it in the fridge. I have mine up top where it runs in the high 30s, in the bottom it runs in the very low 30s. The colder it's environment, the longer it can last between feedings. That's why you can do 2 weeks in the fridge, but need to do it more often in ambient kitchen temps, but in the great white north where you are, you can probably go longer than 4 days outside the fridge.

I like a sourdough with good tang so I will have to experiment with the ranges.

When is it too late? I have made starters in the past and let them go WAY too far after not getting great results. They have been a pain to start so I would like to make sure I know my outer limit to keep this healthy. Is 2 weeks pushing the time spent in the fridge, or if I got distracted for a week could I bring it back easily?
I like a good tang also. The main thing, of course, is the yeast strain. You can buy starters with yeast from all over the world but I've read that eventually your local yeast will take over. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but it makes sense.

There are other ways to increase tang:

https://brodandtaylor.com/blogs/recipes/make-sourdough-more-or-less-sour-part-2
Funny thing, I have the Brod&Taylor folding proofer, a wonderful device, but I use it to make a gallon of yogurt each week. Better than anything store bought!!!

Baking day!
Just transferred my hazelnut wine to secondary today and didn't want to waste the nuts. Hazelnut biscotti!!
I think biscotti means "twice baked". That's pretty much what you do - partially bake, slice, bake again.
Turned out really well! Tastes great! I have enough for another batch and I think that one will get the chocolate treatment.

biscotti 1.jpg biscotti 2.jpg

I used whole wheat. I think I will give it a bit on the fridge to get used to my flour, maybe let local yeast get settled. Also, I can build up some courage. 😄
No courage needed. Life is a big experiment, just have fun. You might fail, but most times that I do fail I learn more than when it works out just okay.

As Alton Brown says in most of his books, learn to "play" with your food. Play meaning, don't take it all so serious (aka, don't try and make a recipe the first time when your boss is coming over to your house for the first time, lol).

No courage needed. Life is a big experiment, just have fun. You might fail, but most times that I do fail I learn more than when it works out just okay.

As Alton Brown says in most of his books, learn to "play" with your food. Play meaning, don't take it all so serious (aka, don't try and make a recipe the first time when your boss is coming over to your house for the first time, lol).
Trouble is I am my boss, and I am here every night. The pressure is indescribable. 😄

I really like to cook, and I have a good reign on the kitchen. However, with involved cooks where I am not familiar, I can lose myself. Hours go by and everything has been used and it is still on the counter. Too busy focusing on new oven features, warming dutch oven's, fancy cuts.

So maybe not courage, I just gotta get a grip on it first. 🙃

When I worked in a Bakehouse as a young chap, we just used to flip the loaf tin upside down to get the square loaves.
I laughed so hard when I read that because it's so painfully obvious!
I've read many clever ideas over the years to mimic the Pullman pan and I never saw one that said flip the darn loaf pan.
What a hoot!

I laughed so hard when I read that because it's so painfully obvious!
I've read many clever ideas over the years to mimic the Pullman pan and I never saw one that said flip the darn loaf pan.
What a hoot!
I saw a Pullman pan when I picked up a larger loaf pan at the restaurant supply place I frequent, thinking my youngest daughter would like if I used one since she asks why the bread I make isn't "square", lol.

She eats it no matter what shape it is, she has her mom's family genes (a stick of butter is mandatory when eating any amount of bread, even a few slices). She is nearly as tall as I am, so it must do something to make her grow taller... I think it's the crust (at least that is what my grandma used to tell me, also makes your hair curly).

Made some baguettes this AM. Made a yeast starter last night and let it proof overnight and added it this AM. Not the prettiest but darn tasty. This is non sourdough. 75%AP - 25% Bread flour. Maybe I will try an egg wash one of these days and see how that comes out.

IMG_9063.jpeg

Made some baguettes this AM. Made a yeast starter last night and let it proof overnight and added it this AM. Not the prettiest but darn tasty. This is non sourdough. 75%AP - 25% Bread flour. Maybe I will try an egg wash one of these days and see how that comes out.

View attachment 97229
Egg washes do wonders, I'm just usually too lazy to make/apply one. I'm making a big (18") loaf of basic bread for my daughter today, I'll add egg wash to half of it so I can see what a big difference it makes, then maybe I'll apply more often (on bagels too).

It just started it's rise in the pan, pictures in a couple of hours, hopefully. Rather cool in the kitchen today, risin' may be hampered.

I have had my starter on the fridge for about 10 days. I have fed it twice and plan to move it inside the fridge after this next feeding. It is very active, in 3 days it is doubling in size and falling so am not worried that there is any issue with the flour changes. I was adding 25 grams of starter to 100 grams of flour and 100g water.

@ibglowin you said use 190 and top up with 100 grams of each, as above, I just want to make sure that that also the ratio that I should use to store it in the fridge. You use about 20g to activate your next batch?

I have had my starter on the fridge for about 10 days. I have fed it twice and plan to move it inside the fridge after this next feeding. It is very active, in 3 days it is doubling in size and falling so am not worried that there is any issue with the flour changes. I was adding 25 grams of starter to 100 grams of flour and 100g water.

@ibglowin you said use 190 and top up with 100 grams of each, as above, I just want to make sure that that also the ratio that I should use to store it in the fridge. You use about 20g to activate your next batch?

No, when I make sourdough bread I will take ~190gms of starter off and add that to my flour. That is my leaven for my bread. Then I feed whats left in the mason jar 100gms flour and 100gms water and mix well and let it sit for ~4-5 hours and then back into the fridge for up to 2 weeks before I feed/bake next. There might be ~50gms left in the jar of leftover starter and that's enough to keep it going.

Finally found some leads on this Gold Medal (aka General Mills) pizza flour. It's Gold Medal™ Neapolitan Pizza Flour Hearth Style Pizza 50 lb

Turns out its an unblemished (no bromate, no bleach, I think no enrichment) bread flour with a 12% protein content. I do like it for NY style doughs, I'll have to see if I can get a 50 lb sack from the restaurant store. I like the Trumps (also Gen Mills) but the ones I can get are bromated and bleached for the most part.

An overnight white sourdough bread (also added commercial yeast for leavaning). Was a bit wet (may have had too many fingers of beer when I made up the initial dough) and stuck to the banneton liner. Deflated, thought I was out a loaf of bread, bounced back nicely during the dutch oven cook.

1-8-23_bread.jpg

A few (7) doughs on deck for pizza making later this afternoon. Need to keep my hands busy so I don't chew my nails to nothing while listening to the Eagles football game.

1-8-23_dough.jpg

I went to feed my starter yesterday, It was maybe 4 days since I last fed it. One full day since it fell. Strong acetone smell. I scooped off the top and moved the bottom less pungent starter to a new jar and fed it with 100 grams of flour and water. It's doubled since last night. I am going to feed it again right away. Should I move it to the fridge in a few hours or feed it again tomorrow to make sure everything is healthy and happy?

Edit... I was using half AP flour and whole wheat. Red Fife and Einkorn. I only used AP this time to try and tone down the aggressive ferment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back