The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the saddle again. 15F outside. Nice the garage is cold enough this time of year to just proof the bread overnight without need of man made refrigeration.

View attachment 96226
Those are truly beautiful. I am going to have to try my luck again soon. Do you have any pictures of the dough before baking? I'd just like to see how deep your cuts are. Do you bake in a dutch oven, or baking tray?

I don't have any before hand pics sadly. I use a standard bread lame to score with a razor. Cuts are not very deep, maybe a 1/4". I make a snake down the middle and then make a small wheat stalk of sorts on both sides of that. I use a dutch oven. 25mins covered and then about 18mins uncovered. I bake at 450F and I am at 6600ft EL so high altitude needless to say.

Those are truly beautiful. I am going to have to try my luck again soon. Do you have any pictures of the dough before baking? I'd just like to see how deep your cuts are. Do you bake in a dutch oven, or baking tray?

First try at making a French style country bread. Followed the recipe from the KA website making a sponge or starter the night before. Smells like freshly baked bread to me! Waiting for it to cool down before cutting into it and looking at the crumb and seeing how it taste as well as the chew. Used just AP flour per directions. Should have maybe made this bad boy into two smaller loaves!

IMG_9029.jpeg

First try at making a French style country bread. Followed the recipe from the KA website making a sponge or starter the night before. Smells like freshly baked bread to me! Waiting for it to cool down before cutting into it and looking at the crumb and seeing how it taste as well as the chew. Used just AP flour per directions. Should have maybe made this bad boy into two smaller loaves!

View attachment 96635
Bread looks great. But that's a disgustingly clean stove!! 😁 Ours hasn't looked like that since the day it was uncrated.

Anyone have any good recipes for bread using non-wheat flours -- like almond etc?

My son has been gluten intolerant since he was 6 or so yrs old. He says he remembers normal pizza, I just can't remember what I had for dinner last week, so I kinda wonder. But he says this flour makes the best crust that is closest to a wheat flour crust that he can remember.

https://www.amazon.com/Antico-Caputo-Fiore-Glut-Gluten-Flour/dp/B00FXH8QFQ?th=1
I've never used it to make bread, though it says it's meant for bread. I usually get a 50 lb sack of Pamela's bread mix to make his bread.

I'm assuming you need to avoid the gluten. If it is anything wheat, don't use the Fioreglut, it has a wheat starch w/o gluten in it, I think that is why it tastes like a wheat flour bread (fyi: still as sticky and awful as any other GF flour).

You can get the Fioreglut at Wegmans if you have one nearby, much cheaper than ordering online.

How do get the bread to be so holey? I make whole wheat bread but if I let it rise just a little too long it collapses, I can make a fairly soft loaf but I want that nice open structure for butter or jam.
Generally the less you work with the dough the more CO2 pockets will remain from yeast so if you want a lot of pockets you minimize your kneading, compressing, mixing the dough before baking.

How do get the bread to be so holey? I make whole wheat bread but if I let it rise just a little too long it collapses, I can make a fairly soft loaf but I want that nice open structure for butter or jam.
This bake was with commercial yeast, and I guess it proved the right amount and I don’t “overwork” the dough. The old cook book recipe would instruct to “punch down” the dough, but I don’t want to loose all that gas, and the modern writers have abandoned the punching term, so deflate a bit as it is shaped for the second rise. Over proving causes collapse because the gluten looses strength/development. At least that is a basic explanation… I’m not a pro baker and I’m sure there is a little more to it than what I’ve shared.

Latest posts

Back