The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be your problem. For a good/excellent oven spring they say you need to trap that moisture/steam and the Dutch Oven is the perfect tool. I have had the opposite luck. It has made my Boule cooks almost "set it and forget it". I am using the DO and cooking @450F for 25 mites covered and then 20 mins uncovered. Perfect every time!
My problem was sticking to the Dutch Oven. Do you coat it or use parchment paper or just a really big DO so the dough doesn't touch the sides?

I've never had an issue with any sticking to the DO. It's always well preheated - 30-60 minutes.

I make small loaves so I fashioned a rack I can lower in and use parchment paper on it. My wife doesn't like the bottom if, in her opinion, it gets over done. This keeps it off the bottom and seems to help with that.

I haven't added any pictures so as they say it didn't happen. But I will add my 2 cents. I don't use parchment paper anymore. It is impregnated with silicone which is likely 100 percent safe but I can't wrap my head around using it. I do 2 loaves at a time. Both rest overnight in the fridge in bannetons. Then, out of the fridge, they warm up and rise a bit for the morning or afternoon. I then preheat my dutch oven for roughly an hour. Right before it's time to put a loaf in the oven I dump the loaf upside down onto a thin plywood base/tray that is the same size as the interior of the dutch oven and is covered with a bunch of cornmeal. I score the loaf and then put the dutch oven onto the stovetop. I then slide the loaf into the hot dutch oven, put the lid on and throw it back into the oven. This has been working really well for me though I will admit sometimes the loaf gets squished a bit on entry. One other point, I make sourdough so the rising and proofing process is longer and more extended. Cheers.

I am using a porcelain coated DO and I toss in a piece of parchment paper as well. No sticking at all.

My problem was sticking to the Dutch Oven. Do you coat it or use parchment paper or just a really big DO so the dough doesn't touch the sides?

Occasionally my loaves would stick - not all the time - so I started using parchment paper. Wouldn’t be without it. Use it under my pizza’s on top of stone. Always have a spare box on hand.
I never had a problem with bread sticking to a dutch oven. But I use parchment paper for virtually everything else I put in the oven other than casserole type dishes. Much better than cooking sprays.

Back in baking mode after a week off in SA. Tried a new experiment for Baguettes today. Baked them off one at a time in my oblong DO. Was a little tight but they seemed to not deform too terribly on the ends. One thing for sure is this made for the absolute best crust to date. Chewy outside, incredibly soft inside as you can see we have already consumed half of the first loaf and the third is now baking off. These were done in the little WOLF oven at 450. 25 mins lid on, and then about 16 mins lid off. Baguette dimensions end up being 4"x10" in the end.

1617463644510.jpeg

1617463666975.jpeg

Latest posts

Back