The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've a question for the more experienced bakers here. Until yesterday's loaves I've been unsatisfied with my bread coming out with a crust that was overly thick and almost too hard. I just realized the only difference was this batch was made with Gold Medal Bread Flour vs. Bluebird Flour that I've been using all along. Can the flour make that much difference? I've just assumed flour is flour but it seems that's probably all wrong.

@Kraffty ,,, Flour is not flour. Industry has bread flour/ Durham noodles with a high protein and cake flour with a low protein ,,, and general retail has all purpose flour which is a compromise not being the best for cakes or bread.
the gold medal will give more structure in bread ,, and for laughs now, try it in a soft pastry to see what gummy texture is, ,,, (personal texture preference I like to take washed wheat gluten and add it to waffles to make them nice and gummy/ firm)
..... for cranberry bread I was trying to build a softer/ longer shelf life so that had two parts all purpose flour with one part tapioca flour with no gluten.

Last edited:
@Kraffty, I'm a retired baker and the amount of protein in the flour makes all the difference. You want to use a flour with about 12% protein. Try checking out the manufacturers web site. You should be able to get the information there. On a positive note the breads i see on this thread look really good. I've worked with some "professional" bakers and they can't make bread that good.

I stick with King Arthur bread flour for all my white bread baking. It's 12.7% protein and always works well for me. I found an on-line comment where someone called Bluebird and asked about protein content . The response was that their bread flour is "somewhere between 12 and 14%" but also stated they don't have a protein analyzer. Sounds iffy to me.

For the past 5 years I’ve been using Heritage Artisan Patent Wheat Flour from Bay State Milling Co. Ma. Sold by GFS. 12.5%. And have had excellent results. Any problems with the bread has been my fault. I buy it by 50lb bag. A 50lb bag will fill 2 five gal food grade bucket. 79EB69C5-519C-4F57-A67B-90EE4D8EE7EC.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info everyone, I guess I'll try being a bit more careful which details I choose to ignore in the future. Think I'll give a full size loaf a try today to see If I can repeat the successful version. Thanks again

I have used Bluebird and had zero issues. Its in high demand here in the Southwest and is coveted for use in making Indian Frybread and other southwestern delights. They are a tiny operation in comparison to King Author and they certainly don't have the budget they do.

To see just how small Bluebird is Check out this short video:

I found an on-line comment where someone called Bluebird and asked about protein content . The response was that their bread flour is "somewhere between 12 and 14%" but also stated they don't have a protein analyzer. Sounds iffy to me.

Can the flour make that much difference? I've just assumed flour is flour but it seems that's probably all wrong.

Absolutely! Flour makes all the difference in any baked goods. Flour is not just flour! We have been using White Lily Self Rising for biscuits and White Lily Bread or King Arthur Bread for yeast baking. With COVID we could not get ANY bread flour so we had to buy gluten to add to regular flour to try to replicate bread flour.

Now we have been able to get White Lily Bread and King Arthur Bread so we are getting back to the normal baking.

So Kraffty, try different brands until you find the brand you like; then lose your mind when your local store stops carrying it. 😭

the purpose of high gluten in bread is to form an elastic network which will trap gas from yeast and allow bubble formation. Next ,,, bread is judged as higher quality if the bubble structure is uniform, for this we work/ develop/ hydrate the gluten creating a rubbery matrix so that it is effective at trapping CO2 and producing small uniform bubbles.
I have used Bluebird and had zero issues. Its in high demand here in the Southwest and is coveted for use in making Indian Frybread and other southwestern delights.
The fry bread I have had, is basically a batter with low gluten development which is quickly heated which creates steam which is trapped in a starch that gelatinizes at 65C. It does not rely on gluten therefore Bluebird should be an all purpose flour.
Now for fun I ought to pull the artificial gums off the shelf and create/ photograph examples of rice flour (no gluten) with baguettes or pretzels or . . ...
If your store only has all purpose flour you‘all might try adding zanthan gum to the all purpose flour again for building elastic bubbles. Zanthan should be in the “health” aisle since the market is mainly gluten intolerance.

"But it is Bluebird Flour that is their No. 1 seller, particularly in New Mexico and Arizona. Tanner says that Bluebird Flour, exceptional in its elasticity, has become the staple for the Navajo and Hopi people: “They prefer our flour for the making of fry bread.”

https://the-journal.com/articles/1482

The fry bread I have had, is basically a batter with low gluten development which is quickly heated which creates steam which is trapped in a starch that gelatinizes at 65C. It does not rely on gluten therefore Bluebird should be an all purpose flour.
Now for fun I ought to pull the artificial gums off the shelf and create/ photograph examples of rice flour (no gluten) with baguettes or pretzels or . . ...
If your store only has all purpose flour you‘all might try adding zanthan gum to the all purpose flour again for building elastic bubbles. Zanthan should be in the “health” aisle since the market is mainly gluten intolerance.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I guess I'll try being a bit more careful which details I choose to ignore in the future. Think I'll give a full size loaf a try today to see If I can repeat the successful version. Thanks again
When you get to baking up some more pizza, try some KA Sir Lancelot flour (14.2% gluten) and if you can't find any PM me your address and I'll send you 5 lbs or so (just ordered a 50 lb sack, 47 cents/lb). It works great for pizza dough (especially if fermented in the fridge for a few days) and when making rye/whole wheat bread (like sourdough), just substitute it for the bread or regular flour component in those recipes, the extra gluten helps make up for the lack of gluten in most whole grain flours and you'll get a really good rise.

Latest posts

Back