The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my PaneFrancese made overnight with polish. We always have a loaf of sourdough plus one of these sitting around. Great with dinner, bruschetta or anything else you want

I love Francese (from a local baker, not the boulangerie I mentioned upthread). Can you tell me where you got your recipe from (if that is a true assumption)?

In other news, I was easily able to get another bag of K.A. Bread Flour this morning.

There is a spot for it on our local store shelf and I actually snagged a bag of KA Bread Flour a couple weeks back but it seems like they only get a couple bags in at a time these days and they are snapped up immediately. Not sure if they get in any AP or Whole Wheat as I have never seen any in the wild as they say......

There is a spot for it on our local store shelf and I actually snagged a bag of KA Bread Flour a couple weeks back but it seems like they only get a couple bags in at a time these days and they are snapped up immediately. Not sure if they get in any AP or Whole Wheat as I have never seen any in the wild as they say......
Time to pack up a few loaves, LOL.

Also started sourdough starter a few months ago and started baking occasionally with it. Have been pretty low carb for years but wanted some bread after the urge grew and grew, read sourdough was the healthiest ticket (also had a boule abroad that lasted forever as I nibbled on it and fell in love). Looks like some great stuff in this thread! I mostly do a no-knead sourdough for the occasional loaf. Though I did try a ciabatta recipe from a book I have. I overcooked it a bit though so it wasn't as moist as could be (timer failure). The latest stuff I did with my discard was English Muffins. They turned out great with just a little sour tang. I had no idea they were pan fried. Totally recommend trying it out if you've never made them.

MONTY’s PAN FRANCESE

SPONGE
104 g all purpose flour
104 g water
1/8 tsp yeast

DOUGH
460 g AP or Bread Flour
25 g whole wheat flour w/bran and center
1 ½ TBL Wheat germ
1 ½ tsp yeast
¼ tsp ginger (helps yeast work)
1 ¼ cup water luke warm milk
1 TBL olive oil
12 g salt

INSTRUCTIONS

For the sponge: Stir the ingredients in 4-cup liquid measuring cup with wooden spoon until well combined. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature until sponge has risen and begins to collapse, about 6 hours (sponge can sit at room temperature for up to 24 hours).

For the dough: Whisk flour and yeast and ginger together in bowl of stand mixer. Stir milk into sponge with wooden spoon until well combined. Using dough hook on low speed, slowly add sponge mixture to flour mixture and mix until cohesive dough starts to form and no dry flour remains, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Cover bowl tightly with plastic and let dough rest for 20 minutes.

Add oil and salt to dough and knead on medium-low speed until dough is smooth and elastic and clears sides of bowl about 8 minutes. Transfer dough to lightly greased large bowl or container, cover tightly with plastic, and let rise for 30 minutes.

Using greased bowl scraper (or your fingertips), fold dough over itself by gently lifting and folding edge of dough toward middle. Turn bowl 45 degrees and fold dough again; repeat turning bowl and folding dough 6 more times (total of 8 folds). Cover tightly with plastic and let rise for 30 minutes. Repeat folding, then cover bowl tightly with plastic and let dough rise until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1½ hours.

I purchased a 4” 30 guage dryer vent pipe and cut it to 20” – (See Pic) Line with piece of parchment paper. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter. Carefully make dough into 10 by 10 -inch square.,

Fold top of dough 1/3 of the square and roll toward bottom pressing seam gently to seal..

Gently slide your hands underneath each end of loaf and transfer seam side down to prepared dryer vent and parchment paper. Then cover loosely lightly floured dish towel and tuck a large plastic garbage bag around it. Let rise until loaf increases in size by about half and dough springs back minimally when poked gently with your knuckle, 30 minutes to 1 hour. I usually leave for at least an hour to hour and 15 min.

One hour before baking, adjust oven racks to lower-middle and lowest positions. Pre heat oven to 450 degrees.

93D18B260-D750-404E-B73A-BBAC8C523F9F.jpeg
Remove Plastic sheet and dish towel and cover dough loosely with aluminum foil blocking ends of dryer vent also – place into oven for 40 min – at end of 40 min remove foil and slide the loaf out of the dryer vent back into oven – it will be rather light in color – watch it closely because within a couple of min it will start to darken. Remove, brush with melted butter and let cool for 2 hours before cutting (If you can)

I have baguette pans but they were only 2 1/2 to 3 “ just too small and using a couche let dough not lift as high as I wanted. A 4” dryer vent works great. They com 24” long which was to long so cut down.

I had another go at bread on the grill last night. I got the grill to about 450F, and it held pretty well during the bake. I did (barely) remember to put some ceramic pieces (broken pizza stone) under the DO, and the bottom of the bread was unscorched. Pas mal.

61629008343__1A9987F5-D730-49FF-9881-54EBEA07701D.JPGIMG_0762.JPG

I had another go at bread on the grill last night. I got the grill to about 450F, and it held pretty well during the bake. I did (barely) remember to put some ceramic pieces (broken pizza stone) under the DO, and the bottom of the bread was unscorched. Pas mal.

Looks yummy! Nice rise. Did it have any smokey flavor?

Latest posts

Back