The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the discard after I started a "fridge" starter for longer term storage (sick of feeding it every day, sometimes twice a day). Made a normal loaf with bread flour, reduced the yeast a bit. Might have reduced it a bit too much, left to proof for three hours and very little rise. This is a real potent starter, wondering if there is a competition factor with added yeast that doesn't let it do its normal thing. Anyway, made a smaller loaf than I intended, but it will work out well for my wifey's toast in the morning since she's watching her weight (and watching mine go down, LOL). Nice aroma in the whole house right now.

7-7-20_sourdough.jpg

I'm at almost a week with my starter and getting tired of feeding it (and throwing away so much every day). I cut it in half today, based on the fact that Ken Forkish said it was OK. I'll prep a loaf with it tomorrow that will ferment overnight in the fridge and bake on Thursday. At that point, I'll keep the starter in the fridge and just bring it out a couple days prior to wanting bread.

Since so many of us are discovering the joys of making bread and/or going further down the bread rabbit hole than before, I thought I might create a thread for breads, pizza doughs and other fermented baked goods.

Today is day 5 of my Levain and I did the usual feeding/discard this morning. From the discard, I kept about 100g, and added 75g of whole wheat flour and 175g of AP flour to make a small test loaf. Also added a pinch of yeast and about 1/4tsp of salt. About 90 minutes after mixing, I gave it a fold and put it back in its covered container. It's fermenting nicely and in about an hour, I'll shape it and get it into the proofing basket. After about an hour proof, I'll bake.

The Levain itself really turned a corner overnight and is becoming more solid (appears to be 'mature'). On reaching in and grabbing a handful, you can see and feel the weblike structure it has created. Tomorrow, I'll feed and create the first 'official' loaf from it, which will be shaped, rise, and then proof overnight in the fridge for baking Tuesday morning.

For reference, most of what I'm doing is either directly out of, or based on "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast" by Ken Forkish. I'm also picking the brain of @ceeaton a fair amount - particularly regarding how to make various things from the daily Levain discard, including bread and pretzels.

Post up your bread, pizza, pretzels, etc here.
Just bought that book after visiting my daughter who made a really good loaf for us from a recipe in the book.

Here is today's effort. Just plain ol' K.A. bread flour, started fermenting last night. It was very warm today (duh!) so it rose a LOT throughout the day, lots of folding. The twist is that I baked it on the grill. It was just too damn hot to turn on the oven. (I asked a lot of my grill today, as you may see in the Dinner thread.) The grill got a little carried away, up to >500F, so I got a little blackening on the bottom. Never hurt nobody! I was happy with the texture and taste -- no complaints.

The first pic shows the bloated dough about to go into the Dutch oven that is preheating in that grill. (The burnt parchment paper is because I tried to recycle it from last time, but it fell apart. I had to scramble in some fresh parchment beneath it.) I cooked it 25' covered at ~500F, and ~10' uncovered. Second pic shows the good, the bad, and the ugly of the loaf. Still delicious!

IMG_0728.JPGIMG_0732.JPG

Last edited:
That's a great looking loaf, Paul. Looks like you may have had some coals under your DO?

I had it on "indirect heat," as best as I could. That is, the coals occupied most of one half of the 22" Weber, and the DO occupied most of the other half. I am sure that there was more radiant (and possibly convective) heat delivered to the bottom of the DO than would have been the case in a normal oven.

Last time I did this, I put down some ceramic pieces (from a broken pizza stone) under the DO. Not sure if it made any difference before, but, in any event, I didn't think to do that yesterday. :slp

C'est la vie. Beats the hell out of cranking a 450F oven in my kitchen on the warmest day of the year so far!

If you think KA Flour is just "plain" these days you are mistaken! It is impossible to find on the store shelves out here in the West. My only source is Amazon which is usually marked up 2X or a bootleg shipment from the PRPA. ;)

I seem to be able to buy whole packer briskets every other week for $2.99/lb however......

Here is today's effort. Just plain ol' K.A. bread flour.......

It is only in the last few weeks the King Arthur (or really any flour, for that matter) has been available here. I've been able to get it (and Caputo 00) each of my last few weekly trips to Wegman's though. Brisket is still $6/lb at Wegs, but has come down to $4.39 for Prime packers at Costco.

It is only in the last few weeks the King Arthur (or really any flour, for that matter) has been available here. I've been able to get it (and Caputo 00) each of my last few weekly trips to Wegman's though. Brisket is still $6/lb at Wegs, but has come down to $4.39 for Prime packers at Costco.
Same here. Was in two different chain grocery stores on two different days, both had a few five pound bags, I guess you call them, of whole wheat, bread and all purpose flour. Good to see they are finally getting some stock, let's see how long that lasts.

Best price on brisket I can find is at the Giant for $4.99/lb.

About an hour ago, finished the rise and shaped the loaf for my Pain de Campagne. 12 to 14 hour proof, then we bake.

Back