The art of racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

captain

This is my first try at wine making and there seems to be a tremdous amount of discussion about racking. They may seem to be a simple question but to a newby it is a little confussing. Is it not the purpose to rack your wine to get it clear of all sediment each time? It seems that even after racking the wine for the 3rd time it still has quite a bit of sediment in the bottom. My bigest question is when you rack the wine and use your siphon tube, do you place the tube above the sediment level or do you just place the tip on the bottom of the car boy? If you keep the tube above the sediment level it seems like you lose a lot of wine each time that you rack. A little help on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

What I do is tip the carboy while it is in resting period so that all the sediment falls to 1 side and then I rack off the shallow end keeping the tip above the sediment until the very last second and carefully drop it down as to not disrurb it. Another trick is to let it sit a few weeks longer then stated so as to let the lees compact so they dont get disturbed as easily.

Great a use for part of my collection of miscellaneous bungs!!

I was using a short piece of 2x4 or 2x6 (can't remember which, and I tossed it prior to my cross country move. These days I use a thick hardback book.

Steve

Latest posts

Back